airfilters

PostPost by: gordont » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:56 am

anyone have any experience / feedback with the Ramair or ITG foam air filters that go directly onto the webers?
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:53 am

Gordon, I am using ITG foam I got from Ray at RD. Works well so far, but only ~2,000 miles on since re-commissioning. The red plastic holder seals well to the back plate. Foam appears to be of good quality; way better than the foam dome deals I had from the PO. I mounted the ITG upside down to put the closure tabs at the bottom to prevent fouling the bonnet. Overall, pleased with the kit.

Although I have SU's on a Stromberg head, I expect this set-up would work fine on Weber's. I ordered my aluminum backplate without holes cut, so I was able to be sure I could fit to the SU's. Ray also lists cut back plates for Stromberg and Weber/Delorto. Three different filter depths (2 3/4" to 5") are listed if you have clearance issues, perhaps with RHD? I managed to originally mount mine a bit higher than ideal for bonnet clearance, but have since adjusted things; measure once and cut twice I guess. :oops:

You can find a picture & prices at rdent.com under Europa Parts about half way down. I couldn't see the product under Elan & Plus 2. When I spoke with Ray about them, he mentioned he brought them in for the Europa TC; think I was the first he sold specifically for a Plus 2. Perhaps they fit right side up on the Europa.

Let me know if you want a pic of my set-up on the Plus 2.

HTH - Just shifted to fourth gear!
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:31 am

The illustrious 4th gear, or should that be Top Gear for most us us with elans limited to 4 gears (until I find a Lotus 5 speed)

A pic would be great. what thickness did you go for and is it the 1 unit for both carbs or 1 for each?
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:45 am

Here are some pics of the itg filter in the Plus 2. Note the logo on the foam is upside down so the closure tabs don't hit the bonnet.

It is the dual carb type filter housing, 2 3/4" thick. Any thicker and I may have had clearance problems with the Plus 2 inner fender and front edge of the foam filter.

You may be able to see the remnants of the bonnet interference at the front of the red plastic basket (white mark in the plastic), so fit is a bit tight even in the Plus 2 LHD. I estimate I have about 1/2" clearance at the front plastic closure tab with the inner fender, and ~ 1" or so front of foam to inner fender. The unit fits, but mounting centre needs to be carefully balanced for total height and clearance top and bottom. I believe bonnet clearance in general is less of an issue in the two seater Elan than the Plus 2, but others may be able to confirm.

Pretty match to the red paint in the engine bay though. 8)
Attachments
itg air cleaner 3.jpg and
itg air cleaner 2.jpg and
itg air cleaner 1.jpg and
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:15 pm

I have run the slip on's with 45's that had long trumpets - pipercross is who I have used , IMO the look is not objectionable - i don't put a lot o miles on my car(s) though.

George
Attachments
pipercross.JPG and
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:11 pm

I installed the Pipercross PX500 on my stromberg S4 a couple of years ago, based on another owner's good experience.

http://www.pipercross.net/competition/p ... _px500.asp

There are a number of different backplates available, one of which may be right for your carbs.

I have to bend down the most far forward tab in order to have clearance, but other than that, they are great.

Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:53 am

thanks all, and George that engine bay is immaculate - looks great
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Mon May 09, 2011 12:34 am

Thanks guys, I think I am going to go for the Ramair option, they don't have the tab at the top so should not foul on anything.
Are these foam filters (I suspect all roughly the same) the same as the old wet sock foam filters that need a light oil applied? if so what oil?
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Mon May 09, 2011 12:38 am

Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: