Fuel injection again.....

PostPost by: lotusanglia1965 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:53 pm

Hi! I read somewhere that you can use the suzuki gsxr750 stubs to connect to weber flanges,just need to elongate mounting holes slightly. these have stubs to connect with rubber pipe to throttle bodies. Good luck, hope it works well. Where abouts are you? good to speak to non-originalists!
cheers,
Martin
lotusanglia1965
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotusanglia1965 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:57 pm

Sorry Berni,
ignore last request for your location, just realised,Kent! I'm north of the river, but not a million miles away,near Haverhill, essex/suffolk border.
Martin
lotusanglia1965
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotusanglia1965 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:03 pm

Berni,
I don't think you should drill any holes in throttle butterflies, i believe it's done on carbs only, to get idle air up without uncovering progression holes. I'll get the hang of answering all q's in one post soon!
Martin
lotusanglia1965
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:29 pm

Hi Martin

Thanks for the reply. I thought probably not as well. I will concentrate on keeping the relative positions of the butterflies the induction length similar.

I have some pictures of the throttlebodies here:
http://www.searchsmart.co.uk/lotus/2005_nov_dec.htm
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bs982367 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:34 pm

You may also try with the Triumph Daytona 955 i bike which has a full management unit (ECU) . This bike is of course fuel injected.
The management unit is designed for a 4 cylinders motor but the bike has only 3 cylinders and develops 149 bhp for 955 cc.The throttle bodies are much wider than the ones of the Suzuki GSX600.
The bike has 7 sensors to feed the management unit with the right information.
I have this bike myself and intend to fit this system on my S4SE Elan.
You may get more information about this system from the following website dedicated to the Triumph bikes
www.t595.net
bs982367
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:23 pm

QED do a complete system for the Lotus twinc. A lot less bother just buying a ready built system 8)
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusanglia1965 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:01 pm

Have you seen the price of it! :shock:
More fun to make my own,haven't got 2.6k spare at moment!
As always, more than one way to skin a cat,throttle bodies for my plus two zetec project cost ?39 from ebay.Even with professional ecu,should be under a grand,finished.
cheers,
Martin
lotusanglia1965
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:06 pm

Martin
Not knowing what it entails(maybe you could enlighten us) would it be viable to purchase a 1.6i from a scrapyard and modify/fit the complete setup?
John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusanglia1965 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:22 pm

John,
I'm not too keen on using whole set-up from another car,even of similar size and output.Aftermarket ecu's are easier to wire in as a retrofit. I think savings can be made on throttle bodies, but only if you are prepared to modify parts yourself. Jenvey make excellent t/b's that bolt straight on to weber flanges,probably best choice if paying someone to do it. My ?39 t/b's needed cutting apart and re-spacing,but do fit perfectly on the cut down zetec plastic manifold.What system are you considering,and for what engine?
Martin
lotusanglia1965
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:22 am

Hi Guys

I think that using any non-programmable ecu to manage the fuel injection is a lost cause. The manifold issue is causing me a small headache at the moment. I favour having some very short 40/44mm aluminium tubes welded onto the 5mm aluminium stampings that go between the carbs and the head, and using some silicone tube to connect. I will look into the gsxr750 stubs. Might be a good bet if they are short enough.

Actually the rubber bits that link the throttle bodies to the head are called inlet rubbers.

Many thanks

Berni
Last edited by berni29 on Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:58 am

Martin
Not considering(at the moment),just keeping an open mind-but it would be on my twink in the plus2....
Thanks
John

So,the ecu has to be mappable(preferably) and various sensors are required?
Does mappable apply to the ignition timing?
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:30 pm

Hi John

The ECU does need to be mapable. Although you do not have to I will be getting rid of my distributor, using the Ford EDIS and inputting the advance curve (map) into the ECU. I will be using an O2 sensor (lambada), manifold air pressure, water temp, and inlet air temp sensors. Same as the set up you find on the Zetec Spyder cars I think. Tuning it will be "fun" in the best Lotus tradition I am sure.

Berni
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:46 am

Berni
I hope when it's done you'll be at Stoneleigh or Donnington so i can have a look see...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusanglia1965 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:36 am

Hi Berni,
I wouldn't use map sensor unless running a plenum chamber inlet,absolute pressure will be fluctuating in one inlet port.I'm using throttle pot to give load value for the 3d map,also benefits better throttle response.I have omex ecu,which is very reasonably priced and doesn't need edis module,can run with coil pack or distributor(locked up).Keep in touch with the developments,I'm sure the twin-cam will benefit hugely from a modern twist.
Martin
lotusanglia1965
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:00 pm

Hi Martin

Thanks for the advice. Each throttle body has a fitting for a vacuum pipe, and they are daisy chained together so I should get an average reading. The holes are quite small so I am not sure if will work as intended. Unless one is going up mountains a lot I am not sure how useful that input is.

What engine are you running with your injection and did you use a rolling road to get yours tuned, or was it laptop with passenger once you had the idle right? I think that the cost of rolling road time might be prohibitive for me.

Thanks again

Berni
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: