K&N Filters - what a proper noise!

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:57 am

alaric wrote:The rate my restoration is going I bet I'll end up needing to replace the twink with a fuel cell and a flywheel before I can actually take it on the road. :roll:

Sean.

I'd be surprised if John Clegg has not done that already- they are way ahead of the times in Royston Vasey. :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: spridget » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:33 pm

Hi
Happy new year to all of you, I wish you an happy motoring and lot of fun with your Elan.
Well my car is now a ?French? Lotus with new numbers.
I?m currently trying to change the paper element of the air filter. Unfortunately it seems to be hard to catch it in the front nose ! Moreover, the duct is broken and the casing is fitted with tie wraps; the brackets are missing .... the filter housing is very rusty.
So I wonder if I better have to buy all the new parts or some K&N filters ?

SJ Sportscar sell the twin K&N ?86 ... is there a better address, do you know the ref ?

Your advices are welcome !

Franck
50/0302 +2, Frogeye
spridget
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:44 am

Franck
Look at Cliveyboy's set up. I have it and its the best of both worlds. It also comes with new duct!
http://www.cliveyboy.com/lotus.html
elan-f15/cliveyboy-breather-and-filter-conversion-t17520.html?hilit=%20cliveyboy
I fitted direct K&Ns to my previous car and regretted afterwards , hence this car has the Cliveyboy filter!
Bon Courage!

Terry
PS Have you seen Serge's email about May in the Charente?
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi Terry. Did you put a weathershield around the Cliveboy setup to stop the filter getting wet, or manage to get it up out of the way so it would be protected from water and mud etc? Actually I guess you don't have to worry so much in sunny France :) - here in the UK it's weather as usual.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:36 pm

Firstly I have driven it in the rain ...honest! But I have never had a problem with the filter. Sure it gets wet but with the air going through the grill up towards the rad anything drys out very quickly.
I did have a bit of a sort out in the nose with the air horns / oil catch tank / filter to make sure everything was well spaced and out the way of the air coming up for the rad. the filter is very much over to the LH side as you look at the front of the car , just missing the headlight as it comes down
Is your car finished yet Sean?
Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: spridget » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:42 pm

Hi all
Fine Terry, thanks for the links, it seems to be a good choice, but does Cliveyboy sell the parts or do you have some ref to give ?
I haven't find any commercial links on the website. Any way I think this kind of kit is common with those fitted on Elise or MGF

Thanks again

Oh yes, I have exchanged a few fellow mails with Serge, but when is the event ? he told me june and you are talking about May, I remember me seing april on your nice banner, so i don't know ! :lol:

Franck
50/0302 +2, Frogeye
spridget
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:41 am

Franck
Cliveyboy sells the parts, just send him an email . Its a little expensive but very nice. If you go the direct approach for the K&Ns you have to fabricate a throttle linkage and it is supposed to be not quite as good from a power point of view unless you can squeeze in the fat ones. see Rohan's post here dated Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:44 pm elan-plus-f13/filters-t18778.html
It may be the same as the Elise or MGF just the diameter of the duct to check

Unless we get a sudden influx of cars , our April event is all but cancelled. We are going to do the Club Lotus France event May 13/15th here which is for all Classics (as noted by the CLF!)
I think we have 4 or 5 Elan +2's and 2 or 3 Elans at present. Details will be put on the CLF Forum at the end of this month

All the best
Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:17 am

Hi. Thanks for the reply Terry - I looked at the photos that you posted in your link also - very helpful. Interesting to see how easily your duct goes past the rad.

On the progress front it's frustrating. The window frame on the passenger door is fouling the bodywork, and I don't know how to solve that at the moment. The door shuts and the gaps around the door are all fine, but the metal frame just touches the paintwork at the top front edge. So I'm a bit stuck. I will just build on despite it for the moment as sanding back the body and re-painting that area is probably the only solution. I can do that once the car's running.

Regards.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:37 pm

Sean,
I can see me having the same issue, do you think the frame can best be adjusted at the point where it bolts to the door or by bending the frame? I'll make sure I adjust mine before painting as much as I can but, of course the door will need stripping down for painting so any advice/guidelines would be gratefully received.
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Uboat » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:54 pm

I also invested in Cliveyboy's filter kit, and I can confirm it is very good. However, my car have a big canister for the washer fluid in the way and I don't know where to place the filter permanently. For now it is sitting on the fixing plate on top of the canister, oriented strait forward with free air flow right into the filter/air hose. Not a good position in wet conditions, but I hope to get some RAM-effect on the engine output in high speeds!

/Ulf
1974 Lotus Elan +2 130/5
Uboat
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Hi Mike. I did post a thread asking for help with this so I'll move it across to that thread for sanity - hey then I'll have a reply too :) - it's ok - for once noone had anything to say - unusual. Happy to post pics of the problem. I am hoping it's just down to adjusting the door properly with the shims and height on the hinges. I have zero experience of adjusting the door of course.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: marode » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:28 am

Hi Spridget!

Cliveyboy?s setup might be rational, but I strongly recommend to go the noisy way with K&N. Go for the 6cm deep ones, they?ll fit! It?s so much more fun to put the toe down since! And it?s not so hard to built a new throttle linkage, sure you?ll make it.
marode
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: spridget » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:33 pm

Hi
Finally, I broke the bank and bought the kit from Cliveyboy. These parts are very nice and not to hard to fit on the car. Clive is great enthusiast and he can give good advices
Attachments
P1010065 - Copie.JPG and
P1010058 - Copie.JPG and
50/0302 +2, Frogeye
spridget
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: