K&N Filters - what a proper noise!

PostPost by: marode » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:21 pm

Mounted K&N Filters (the ones directly at the carbs) on my +2S today: no noticeable change in power, but car is double as loud now. Wonderfull! :D
marode
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:10 pm

Excellent. I'm seriously considering going that route myself. Any problems with fitting them?

Regards

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: marode » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:21 pm

you?ll have to build something to fix the accelerator cable and the spring again, because these are normaly mounted at the air box. I used two threaded rods srewed on the two free windings at the inner side of the carbs and fixed an aluminium bracket (light weight!) on its end. Also you should go for a filter element to fit at the end of the crankcase breather tube. Don?t forget to check and adjust the carb CO-screws, the engine might get more air with the K&N fitted and might run poor.
marode
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:01 pm

I like the idea however my big concern would be an uncontolled leak of fuel from the carbs from, say, a sticky float. I think the air box is intended to at least contain such an escape so that it can't cascade onto the distibutor below.

Nice noise though :D
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: slimromeo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:02 pm

i think i might have a pair of k&n filters if anyone is interested. not new but ok :D

Franco
slimromeo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: marode » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:51 pm

jono wrote:... my big concern would be an uncontolled leak of fuel from the carbs ...

Good point! Reminds me to fit the fire extinguisher I bought for the Elan instead of taking it for rides in the boot of my Alfa... :roll:
marode
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:46 pm

Is the concern the old parking a +2 on a hill and having the fuel drain out through old needle valves in the carbs? Does sound like a nasty old problem that one doesn't it. If it's just blow back from the carbs etc then has anyone put together a shield to go over the distributor or a deflector plate that goes under the carbs? Is there an engine management solution that does away with the distributor?

Regards.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:12 pm

Sean,

There is an engine management solution which dispenses wtih the dizzy and this is it:

...just need to tidy up the wiring now!
Attachments
Trigger wheel.JPG and
Ignition.JPG and
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:36 pm

Excellent. I like the test setup you've rigged up. More elegant than my cable tie efforts. What make have you installed?

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:28 am

I've heard that K&N filters flow more air because they don't filter as well. I don't know if it's true or not, just noting it for comment. I like the idea of pulling air from the front of the car where the air is cooler. Someone here makes a mount to use the K&E type filter up front. I lost my link.
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:01 am

Hi. The nose mounted K&N filter assembly is made by Cliveboy. I bought one for my car. Very neat assembly. Only concern I have is it getting soaking wet when it's raining, and also it getting very dirty from the road. The standard filter is protected by the filter housing, but the K&N in the nose is 'bare'. I haven't got my car on the road yet but was planning to put a weather shield around the K&N.

On the filter performance the K&N can be dodgy if not oiled or cleaned properly. Fig 5.2 and the text on pages 47 and 48 of David Vizard's 'Tuning BL's A series engine' describe the performance of the K&N as unsurpassed both for filtration and air flow, even when clogged with desert dust. But, they need to be cleaned and oiled properly to provide filtration. I'm just repeating what's in the book here though - haven't tested them for filtration myself - please don't shoot the messenger.

Regards.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:16 am

You will need to make some arrangement for the crank-case breather pipe; I adopted the early Elan/Lotus Cortina method of just sticking a short length of 15mm copper tube into the 90 degree rubber pipe and venting to atmos.

I've got a photo of the throttle cable arrangement for Dellortos, if that is any use.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:18 am

alaric wrote:................................... Is there an engine management solution that does away with the distributor?

Regards.

Sean.

Diesel- it's the future! :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:34 am

elansprint71 wrote:
Diesel- it's the future![/quote]

Almost, petrol direct injection with valve positioning like the new Alfa Romeo dual-air system is the near term future. Eventually we will move to new fuels produced from algae or a catalytic conversion of soy bean oil. I just heard a really fascinating research paper presentation on the latter today. The internal combustion engine still has decades of life ahead, if not more.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:31 pm

The rate my restoration is going I bet I'll end up needing to replace the twink with a fuel cell and a flywheel before I can actually take it on the road. :roll:

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: