Fitting Webers before fitting engine/box to car

PostPost by: dpchamp87 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:24 pm

I am trying to anticipate any possible problems on refitting the motor/box and I am sure that installing the lower nuts/washers to the back carb will be a bear of a job.Anyone got any thoughts on fitting the carbs before putting the motor in? Too risky?

David

1970 S4 SE with Sprint motor
dpchamp87
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:00 pm

Hi Bud,
I will admit to never having done that but I personally would leave off the carbs. I even left out the studs on both the carb and exhaust manifold side & I fitted the studs when I had everything into place. I did have a bit of a tussle with the fitting of the carbs (and manifolds) but its not impossible. Far from it..

That's how I would (will!) do it again if and when I need to.

Have fun and good luck with it..

Alex B..... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: neilsjuke » Tue May 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Getting to the engine mount ,fuel pump and starter would be worse to my thinking
Also the head inlet castings dont need a lot to break them.

Neil
Last edited by neilsjuke on Tue May 11, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neilsjuke
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Tue May 11, 2010 10:19 pm

No problem fitting the engine with the carbs. on. Don`t forget that when you bought an Elan new in kit form, all ancillaries were already fitted on the engine ready to slot (!) the engine/gearbox in.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:21 am

I don't see it as a problem either way - but personally, I fit the engine/box without the head, and then fit the fully trimmed head seperately.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed May 12, 2010 11:09 am

I have tried it a few ways over the years snd have settled on the following when I remember it and dont do thinghs out of order :roll:

1. Gearbox in first
2. Then assembled engine including engine mounts without carbs or exhaust or dizzy but otherwise complete. I drill out the eingine mount bolt holes to the chassis so easier to line up and fit the bolts
3. Bolt the mounts in place then fit starter, carbs, dizzy, in that order
4. Then clutch slave assembly and fit exhaust to head in that order. Depending on exhaust style and chassis you may need to mount exhaust loosely in place before bolting the eingine mounts to the chassis.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Allison » Thu May 13, 2010 7:46 pm

Bud,

its clear that everyone has their own way of doing it! I would put as fully complete an engine in as possible, leaving off only the dynamo and starter. Remember to connect the incoming fuel line before even looking at engine mountings. The clutch slave is easier if done before the exhaust and the exhaust before that side engine mounting. The last one in is the dynamo.

Once you've managed to line up the engine/gearbox - everything is easy!
Peter
Allison
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: