Wbber Carbs

PostPost by: JACKJABBA » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:43 pm

When operating the choke leavers on the carbs there is a sucking sound which sounds like a leak on the carbs around the o ring seals on the inlet manifold. I have pushed on the carbs but this made no change in sound. I expected that there would be a sound change as the air flow throught the carbs has been changed, but this sounds like an air leak, as if there is and auxilary air hole for when the choke is on.

Any ideas or is this normal for webbers?
JACKJABBA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:41 pm

Jack,
Sounds normal, directly below the choke lever is an air intake/breather, a small opening which is covered by a gauze. It cannot be seen with the carbs on, if you take of the choke lever retaining cover you will see it.
I've just been going over Burtons site and they still list the 65lbs oil pump uprate kit, go to "quick buy" and put in part number FP202
Brian.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:14 pm

Jack,
Webbers normally have sucking sound. Your best bet is to pull up on the carbs and listen for engine speed change and/or push down on the carbs and listen for same. Not too hard! Or spray carb cleaner around where the carbs meet the 'O' ring and manifold and listen for engine speed change. These things should eliminate this variable. Also, the throttle shafts could be leaking air where they 'exit' the carb body.

Greg Z.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JACKJABBA » Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:25 pm

Thanks for the replies, all sounds ok then.

Brian, I have now ordered the oil pump parts from Burtons, anyone else who needs the uprate kit better get in touch with them now , as they are about to run out, leaving you to buy a full pump.

Regards Jack
JACKJABBA
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: