Biofuel

PostPost by: Vanden Perre » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:42 pm

Hello,
I watched the news this evening and saw that Belgium has now taken the decision to add 4% of biofuel (ethanol made from cereal) to fuel sold in the petrol stations. Not a big surprise because Belgium just finished building a huge refinery producing bio ethanol. Obviously like with unleaded it will take time before normal fuel will disappear but...
At this stage, you have already understood my question: what with our twin cams? How would they cope with this new beverage?
Any interesting comment?
Olivier.
Vanden Perre
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi Olivier,

I am under the impression that most fuel in europe,including the uk already has 5% ethanol content..i may and often am wrong..

Ian.
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:29 pm

I get my 99 octane petrol from Tesco which has been E5 since 2005.

There has been talk of increasing this to E10.

I am told by a local Tesco tanker delivery driver that: Almost all modern cars can be run on E10 fuel without any modification. If higher concentrations of ethanol are to be used then modification is usually necessary - for example, ethanol is much more corrosive and abrasive than petrol. Therefore ethanol in fuel will clean old deposits from the fuel lines and fuel tank and gunge up the fuel filter. When a car is converted to run on ethanol it needs to have its fuel filter changed very soon afterwards. Once the old deposits are gone, then fuel filters will need changing as often as the did before.

I'm sure this will promote some response.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcraven » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:53 pm

Page 6 of this FBHVC magazine discusses the possible effects of ethanol in fuels http://www.fbhvc.co.uk/assetts/newsletter-pdfs/FBHVC%20Magazine%20October%202008.pdf
rcraven
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: