cleaning external carburettor body

PostPost by: AHM » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:03 pm

Another trial and some results.

The colours are a bit odd - the dark carb top wasn't that dark.

The technique I adopted:
Cleaner on - leave for 5 mins
Wash off - the surface has a light grey etched appearance.
Brush gently with soft brass wire brush (after lots of trial and error)
repeat until satisfied.

Wear safety gear the acid is nasty
Don't over do it the hard surface gets removed form the alloy, but it dosn't get any brighter.
Attachments
IMG00249-20110324-1544.jpg and
Above "Lotus" cleaned with cleaner. Right hand (above TUS) brushed lightly.
IMG00248-20110324-1506.jpg and
Last edited by AHM on Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mr.Gale » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:13 am

I did this and it worked great! http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-t ... a_blaster/

Gale
Mr.Gale
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:06 am

Nice article Mr.Gale - Do you have any pictures of the surface finish you achieved?

I'm trying to avoid a "Blasted" appearance - I want to achieve an "It's been so well looked after from new" Patina.
Attachments
IMG00258-20110325-1128.jpg and
Finished diff cover - Ignore the reflection it isn't "polished"
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:41 pm

I've used a stainless steel scouring pad on my Webers to great effect. No chemicals, just elbow grease. I'm sure it would do a great job on the differential as well.

Also I've used aluminum foil and Coca-Cola on items such as the metal on my Sprint interior door handles. It gets rid of a lot of that rust and leaves a nice polish. (If you're on a diet, Diet Coke works too... "add lightness.")

Gary
'71 Sprint FHC
Miami, Florida
Attachments
Stainless Steel Scouring Pads.jpg
Stainless Steel Scouring Pads.jpg (12.69 KiB) Viewed 1614 times
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:23 pm

looks pretty clean already .... mine were BROWN
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:26 pm

Yes - Mine were brown and black too! At this stage they had already been cleaned of anything that half a gallon of breake/carb cleaner would remove.

Alu Magic arrived over the weekend so i will be trying that later.

Gary - I have used plenty of elbow grease, the chemicals are for the final finish.... The active ingredient in coca-cola and Wheel cleaner is Phosphoric acid... Scouring pads are a bit abrasive for my liking.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:35 pm

a bit late to the party but I recently used Brasso on my carb covers and they came up very well. I'll be overhauling them soon and will do the lower body then. I'll also do the jet inspection cover and anything else I see. I wonder if there's anything that will keep the oxidation from returning. :?

In the upper right corner of the photo you cn see the broken Thackeray washer that is one of the prompts for me to remove the carbs and start from scratch with set-up. :wink:
Attachments
DSC_1723.JPG and
Top Cover after Brasso
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Greg Foster » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:26 pm

I just cleaned a set of stromberg carburettors with a siphon gun and Arm and Hammer washing soda. It worked great. No chemicals from the carb cleaner spray cans, just very fine dust from the soda blast. It did not remove the annodized finish from the linkage, just the dirt and built up gum on everything. I do have pictures of before and after but will have to submit them in a later post. I just took a regular fluid siphon air gun with the 4' plastic pick up tube and ran the tube right into the box. Just set the carb on a piece of cardboard outside my shop and loosened up some of the soda and sucked it up with the gun. It doesn't change the texture of the metal and leaves a reasonable patina. I am glad I didn't have to smell up the shop with carb cleaners. A small wire brush, water and air remove the soda residue. Plus any soda on the clothing helps in the washer! The soda just washes off the driveway also.
Greg
'67 s3 SS
'72 +2 S130
Greg Foster
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jaybee » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:19 am

Hi have you tried blasting them with baking powder, if you have a compressor and blow gun you can make one yourself with a piece of tube have a look on YouTube .
It cleans them really well and if you leave any residue it dissolves harmlessly in water or petrol etc. I have done this and it actually works. John
Jaybee
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: