Do I need a new fuel tank?

PostPost by: 72elan1304 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:45 am

Having had the car for under a week, I am just getting to know it.

Having trawled through this site it seems rusting fuel tanks are a common problem. Now, at the moment I can not see or smell any leaks from the tank although the exterior is certainly rusting. Also I have never had more than about a couple of gallons in the tank yet.

Is the lettering on the tank standard? Or has a previous owner had the tank re-lined and had it tested? Someone has obviously been at the tank in the past as the nearside breather has been replaced with some yellow Wickes hose, probably common garden stuff!

Paul Matty have just quoted 368 pounds delivered for a new alloy tank, or I see Andy Wiltshire offers one for 290 pounds plus delivery. Are these the only options?
Attachments
DSC_0333.jpg and
72elan1304
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:13 pm

Recently had cause to remove my fuel tank (to change my top diff mounts).

The exterior of my tank looks a bit like youre in places.

The interior is like new! Perfect!

So.....if it's not leaking it 'probably' does not need replacing.

Maybe it could benefit from a clean up and a fresh coat of paint?

Can't answer the lettering question.

Tanks come up on ebay.co.uk quite regularly (second hand and new).

Best of luck,
Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: andyhodg » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:29 pm

I am in the process of replacing my +2's tank. It definitely had a leak as demonstrated by the couiple of gallons of optimax in the rear footwell of the car! A PO had replaced the diff mounting bolts with an overlong bolt that had been fretting against the tank for a number of years.

I have gone for an Andy Wiltshire item and have got nothing but praise for both the workmanship and service.

My old tank looked like yours externally but was in good condition on the inside.

Good luck

Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:18 pm

The writing is original, and not often seen any more.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 72elan1304 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:56 pm

I suppose the only way to tell for sure is to drain the tank completely and remove, inspect and cross fingers.

I was also hoping to pick up a new carpet set at the Donnington show, so will probably wait until after then and refit the interior and tank in one go
72elan1304
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:07 pm

Hi ?... All,

Have your tank presssure tested to see if it is leaking. Try a radiator repairer. Plenty near you.

When you going to Donnington? My Mrs and I will be travelling down on the Friday night. Overnight on Friday & Sat back home on Sunday am. Probably using my other car as the Lotus is just about run in and I want to do a 500 mile service etc.Re torque the head and all that. I want to take my time here and set the valve clearances dead on.

Anyone else staying overnight using the Travell inn/Lodge at East mid'a/port just along the road (2 Mls)....?

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 72elan1304 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:36 pm

I was going to drive down early Saturday morning and stay Saturday night either locally if the show is worth a 2 day visit or back up North a bit if I'm just heading home.

Will be borrowing the pick up again though, will need the space in the back for all the parts I need!

Getting the carbs looked at tomorrow evening by Alex Walker in Dundee. Thanks for the recommendation of Mike Stuart at Errol, I may need to call on his services later.

Cheers,
Sandy
72elan1304
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:32 pm

No probs...Did you get your oil?

AlexB........ 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 72elan1304 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:38 pm

Nope, still no oil. D&A Factors tell me they will have it in this week sometime.

Wont be changing the oil until next weekend though, I am trying to resist the car taking over all of my time!
72elan1304
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:21 pm

Re-arrange a well known phrase or saying from the following.

chance & No

Alex..... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Lettering is the original water column test for the tank. From memory, the tank is good for about 3 feet of water (approx 1.2psi)

Rust is likely to be external only, get it tested as suggested. For the Plus 2, the tank is pretty well protected from external corrosion.

There is a drain plug, remove this and see if any rusty water comes out. If not this is a good sign. Once you have the tank empty, remove the gauge sender and look inside (centre part) of the tank. This should give you a pretty good impression of the state of the tank.

Regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: aussieelan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:39 pm

Good way to check the inside without pulling everything apart is to check your fuel filter ... if its full of brown gunk (like mine was) ... well ... you can probably guess at the tank internals!

I removed mine recently when I had the diff out, and put a tank de-rust and sealer product through it. Worked really well. The one I used was the KBS branded version, but there are also others available. At the same time I took the trouble to sand, prime and repaint the outside. All a very easy job ... infact the hardest part was removing and replacing the tank ... quick hint: do it from the inside.

a
aussieelan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 72elan1304 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:30 am

Car is parked up until next week. I had the carbs looked at and the mechanic scratched his head and said to have the valve clearances checked first.

So booked in with Mike Stewart for Tuesday. Will have to get an idea on costs for this before ordering any fancy alloy tanks.
72elan1304
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:49 am

Hi, ? / All,
Great to have the longer nights now the clock's gone forward eh?

? I am going to call you elan 72. Hope you dont mind! How did it go with Mike Stuart? I am going up to pick up my oil supplies sometime today I hope. Just waiting on the sun coming out to play.

Donington show approaches! Why not give me a pm and we can arrange an Elan.net get together for a beer or two. As I said, I am staying at the airport Travell inn about 2 mls along the road.

Can I ask anyone taking their Elan a question on security. I would like to take my car but I am worried about security. Any tips? how does one stop bits from dissapearing from your car etc?

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 72elan1304 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:08 pm

Car is still with Mike Stewart, I called him this afternoon and he tells me it will be next week until he has a chance to look at it. He has suggested fitting electronic ignition.

I'll be taking the pick-up down to Donnington so there should be plenty of room if you want me to bring anything back up the road for you?
72elan1304
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: