Essential and recommended tool for balancing the mixtures

PostPost by: M.J.S » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:45 am

Went for a run last night and a quick once over showed the manifolds at approx 195 to 205 degrees centigrade.

Mark.
M.J.S
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: b-havers » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:07 pm

I assume the rain has stopped, then ;-)
Thanks, I'll see what I can get hold on, locally.
Bjorn-Anders, Norway
'95 Caterham Seven Roadsport
'02 Elise Supercharged
ex Europa S2
ex Elan +2S 130
ex Esprit Turbo
ex Caterham SS

Life is too short to drive boring cars
b-havers
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: redskatejbf » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:46 pm

Whilst I appreciate this could balance the mixtures between cylinders to some degree, does a higher temperature indicate a weaker mixture and conversely lower temperature richer mix between the cylinder being compared with?. I ask this as I am aware that it is possible to find, in a diesel engine, a cylinder / injecter that is not running correctly by monitoring the exhaust temp. in comparision to the other exhaust temps. The load on a diesel has a dramatic effect on the exhaust temperatures, high load = high temp.
Regards John.
The lines fall unto me in pleasant places, yea I have a goodly heritage.
redskatejbf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: M.J.S » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:51 am

You're spot on there John. After a good run yesterday I put the thermometer on the manifold and 1, 2 & 3 were showing approx 192 to 197 degrees whilst 4 showed at 234. Pulling the plugs it was immediately obvious no 4 was a touch leaner than the others, so I have screwed it out an eighth of a turn and will recheck them later.

Earlier in the day on those setting by the way, the car was on the engine tuner and was showing a CO of approx 3.0 to 3.2, which I believe is about right.

Now the mixtures are hopefully sorted I have also swapped the BP5ES plugs I was running (to stop it coking up at slow running) to BP6ES to see whether that makes any difference (the recommended BP7ES used to choke it dead.)

Mark.
M.J.S
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: redskatejbf » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:23 pm

Hi, M.J.S.
The temps. you obtained are / would be a good ball park figure for someone to aim for ( I havn`t tried it ) but did you check immediatley after the run? I would imagine the temps. of the exhaust would rise very quickly in still air and give a false impression of cylinder temps. Hopefully this rise would still be relative to the exhaust gas temperature in the respective cylinder / s. as the water and head temperature would rise in tandem.
Next time you check, please report back , and see if the temps. rise dramatically when you leave it ticking over for several minutes.
If this is another means of setting / checking air / fuel ratio between cylinders cheaply I think it would be a great advantage to us paupers.
A great pity that Kieth Frank does not post here anymore, he would indicate if we were going up a blind alley.

Regards John.
The lines fall unto me in pleasant places, yea I have a goodly heritage.
redskatejbf
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: