Difficult Cold Starting - Dellortos - 130/5

PostPost by: terryp » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:44 pm

Andy
Thanks for that. Undo the large brass screw cover for the pump jet and lift it out. Its the brass screw top thats about 12mm across.

Cheers

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:02 pm

I know exactly the one you mean and always thought that that was what was under there. If there car is running fine when it returns from garage I won't be touching it. however, if it isn't then I might be tempted to have a look.

Cheers

Andy
Live life to the fullest - that's why I own a Lotus
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:46 pm

THANK YOU EVERYONE !!!!
My new side outlet pump jets arrived today (cost ?27.50 from Eurocarb Ltd 0118 943 1180) Installed in the car , it started and fired on four cylinders , then out on the road the improvement on the pick up is amazing. Sounds perfect (although I have got K&Ns which does make an audible difference)

Thanks again to all

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rfurzer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:24 am

I have had a frustrating cold start issue. I drive my plus 2 once a week or so. Starting has been effortless across the (southern hemisphere) summer but it is now cold and wet.

The start before last was a little difficult and needed a few pumps on the throttle to start ok on the second try. Ran normally.

Then frosty morning 3deg. One cough- enough to disengage the starter was all I could get.

I was quite low on fuel and wondered if some evaporation of the summer- mix 98 octane was the issue. 10 L of new fuel. No difference.

Wondered about the tank pick up- took of the fuel line from the rear carb- easily pumped fuel into a bottle.

Still no start. One cough.

Tried a little puff of ether 'aerostart' into the air box. No start. One cough.

Pulled a plug- soaked in petrol.

Changed the plugs. BRROOM
rfurzer
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: bobm3142 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:54 am

Hi,

You say that it then starts OK once you have cleaned the plugs. This may well be simply that you have given it that little edge (taken away the "last straw" so to speak). Have you tried cleaning the plugs immediately before you attempt to start it? It does sound like an ignition problem to me and, assuming that the timing is correct, I would check the spark (strong and consistant). I note that you have changed the ignition components so it is unlikely to be points, leads, plugs, dis. cap or rotor arm. However, that still leaves the low tension supply to the distributor, the coil itself and its associated cable connections (high tension lead to dis. and 12v supply).

Bob
bobm3142
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Jaybee » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:22 pm

I had some years ago a Yamaha xt 500 And had terrible trouble starting it I tried all sorts and I turned out to be condensation on the points! I wonder if you have the same problem. Either moisture on your points if you have them or on the contacts in the. Distributor cap, of course you may want to check the following

Cracks in the cap
Badly burnt contacts in the cap or rotor arm
Leads
Coil
Spark plugs breaking down.

Wish you luck john.....
Jaybee
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:35 pm

Mike Wilkins in his "Lotus Twin Cam Engine" Book advocates that for Dellortos you SHOULD use the 'choke' {Cold start device} rather than pumping it to start. This is the opposite of best procedure for the Webers.

I find choke plus two pumps seems to be best for cold start with my Dellortos.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Fri May 03, 2013 5:47 pm

I think it depends on what direction your pump jets are pointing
The early ones point down and the fuel just runs in. I think its better to use the choke with these The later ones squirt horizontally into the chamber. (I beleive like Webers)
With the later jets my +2 would always start no problem with 2 or 3 pumps in normal weather or a couple more in very cold weather.

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri May 03, 2013 8:42 pm

Mine (with Dellortos & electric pump) was a stubborn starter today (when I started it to back out of my garage into my front yard to work on the brakes) I needed Choke plus a few bs on the throttle and still it was jut firing one spark & stop. Eventually though it started. My Dellorto pump jets are horizontal ones. I set them up a year or so ago and could squirt about 6 feet.

Engine's been idle for about 2 weeks.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: effeeffe » Mon May 13, 2013 8:09 pm

I always prefer Dellorto in my old cars S130 and Lancia Fulvia coup? .
Dellorto carburetors are beautiful, but they have a problem, the reserve of gasoline to the pump is the lowest part of the carburetor
Alcohol used today as antiknock instead of lead is highly hygroscopic so in pumps you can always have a large amount of water.
The water is heavier than the gas and thus collects on the bottom of the carburettor and into the pump
Even with a filter Malpassi, in winter the humidity of air into the carburetor can bring some water in the pump if you use your Elan very rarely.
In winter if you use accelerator you send water in the engine not gas.
effeeffe
New-tral

Previous

Total Online: