Facet fuel pump

PostPost by: jimbo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:38 pm

hatman wrote:
jimbo wrote:

Thus far Elan ownership has been a somewhat traumatic and shattering experience. They are supposed to be fun aren't they???? :?

I'm beginning to realise that my Caterham was 'plug and play' in comparison.

Oh, and the rev counter has stopped working as well!

This was a Paul Matty supplied car wasn't it? (and therefore not cheap!) Mmm - makes you think. :?

I can see how you might think that based on my posts. However, the real problem is that PM are not exactly on my door step. They have actually been very supportive, immediately offering to sort the car for me and offering advice etc on the phone.

Prior to the coolant leak I wanted to do the work myself as one of the reasons I went for the Elan was so I could roll my sleeves up. Right now I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed though!

I spoke to PM this afternoon to tell them about the coolant leak and they have offered to get the car collected so they can sort it out for me. I don't think you can ask for more than that. :)
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elandoc » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:10 pm

I have a Facet pump, which the man said was internally regulated to 3psi - bullshit. I measured it at 6, which is enough to over power the seat in a weber float bowl. Fit a pressure regulator and set it to 1.5psi.
The water leak sounds like the pump... ouch!
Cheers
Patrick
67 S3 DHC - The world's most expensive Elan has now been sold!
85 Ferrari 308 GTSi QV
76 MGB
07 Aston Martin V8 Vantage
81 Ducati 900 MHR
65 Elan S2 lightweight project under construction
73 Triumph X-75 Hurricane
elandoc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:27 pm

elandoc wrote:The water leak sounds like the pump... ouch!
Cheers
Patrick

The car is on its way back to PM. They are covering the parts and labour so it shoudn't hurt too much ... assuming I can resist upgradeitus whilst the car is with them! :lol:
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:13 am

A trick I used to quiet my electric pump was insert rubber grommets into the mounting holes on the pump frame, and then put the screws through the grommets. You could hear its reassuring sound as you turned the car on, whatever noise it made was lost in the twinks sounds.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:50 pm

A quick update on my water pump issue. I've been holding off posting so as not to tempt fate!

Due to the distances involved the car went back to Paul Matty via their recommended recovery agent (an absolute gent who I'd happily use again). They got the car the week before Christmas and it was back in my garage the Friday before Christmas.

Paul Matty were absolutely fantastic. They sorted the water pump FOC and by way of a nice by product replaced all the relevant engine gaskets so the car does not drip oil anymore ... at least not from the engine! :wink:

I've had a few drips of coolant from the overflow pipe, but I think that's because there is no expansion tank and it was probably slightly over filled.

Whilst it was at PM's they they fitted a fuel pressure regulator, relocated the facet pump in the boot, fitted an Elise style fuel intertia cut out switch, replaced the kinked fuel pipe manifold, reconditioned the speedo and rev counter and fixed a sticking door lock. I believe they also replaced a jet on the carbs.

To date I've not had a bill for any of the above. I think that is first rate service and goes a long way to justifying my decision to pay a bit over the odds in order to buy from them.

The car is now running better than ever and I am looking forward to some memorable drives once the weather improves! :D
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:12 am

Hi Jimbo
Some one seems a bit happier now the Elan is running properly.
Will you be taking it up to Donington this month?
If your are not feeling that adventurous you can always give it a short run to Oxford.
Kettles always on
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jimbo » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:51 pm

Hi Clive,

Yes I am planning on going to Donnington. And I might just hold you to that coffee!

Cheers,

James
jimbo
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: