K&N air cleaner

PostPost by: frearther » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:29 am

I want to replace the stock air cleaner (1965 S2) with a K&N unit. does anyone have the number of the unit that will fit directly to my 3 1/2" flexible ducting?

Thanks in advance.
Art Frederick
S2 Roadster, built in 1965, registered in 1966, No. 26/4934
Nothing else of interest at present
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:05 am

Art
You will need to think how you are going to attach the filter to the ducting.
If you just want to put a filter over the end of the ducting then you will need to source a less common size filter. The reason being that the original ducting is 3.1/2 inch internal bore so you would need to measure the external diameter of the ducting you have and buy a filter with an internal flange diameter to match. You then have the problem of clamping the filter onto the flexible ducting which will crush slightly and not give the best of seals.
A better alternative is to get some 3.1/2 inch diameter tube to fit inside the ducting and clamp both the ducting and filter to the tube. You then need some simple bracketry to attach to the tube so you can fix it to the body work. If you just lay it down in front of the radiator unrestrained you run the risk of the filter bouncing around and getting damaged as well as restricting the flow slightly.
There are some pictures on my website of how I did mine to give you some idea.
If you do just want to clamp a filter over the ducting your local k&N supplier should be able to advise what filters are available in the size you require. I doubt if they could calculate if the filter will flow enough air for your engine. (But I can always check that for you if you email the part number.)

Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:33 am

The setup on your website is wonderful - so I suppose it isn't available in the US????? I assume you designed it.
Art Frederick
S2 Roadster, built in 1965, registered in 1966, No. 26/4934
Nothing else of interest at present
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jrwiseman » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:45 pm

frearther wrote:I want to replace the stock air cleaner (1965 S2) with a K&N unit. does anyone have the number of the unit that will fit directly to my 3 1/2" flexible ducting?

Thanks in advance.

Take a look here http://www.rdent.com/pages/parts.html . The bracket
can be made fairly easily [ although Cliveboys is sweet ! ].

good luck
John
jrwiseman
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:41 pm

The K&N filter that RDent sells seems to be a RE 0810 therefore the size of the filter is 3 inch internal flange diameter this means it must slide "INSIDE" the 3.1/2 inch ducting.
I guess you then just lay the filter down in front of the radiator or make up some brackets as mentioned previously.

Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: