Painting the head?/Plumbing carbs

PostPost by: kenny » Wed May 23, 2007 6:14 pm

Seeing the post in the Elan section has made me think. I've painted my block, sump, and front cover in grey but I've decided to leave head bare ali. I've still got time to paint this before installation. What is the concensus here.

Also on the piping up of the Webers I've decided to do away with the standard angled pipes off the banjos and the T.piece in favour of a banjo mounted T piece on the front carb going to the single inlet on the rear carb as I think it looks neater and has less joints.. Has anyone else done or thought the same.

Kenny

PS Painting the cam cover in the crackle red has aged me 15 years and given me a nervous twitch 8)
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed May 23, 2007 6:38 pm

Unless you are a purest I don't see the point in painting the head, but if you are a purest then everything else must be as near to original as possible so the carb plumbing question becomes irreverent, you have to make that as original as possible........you cant be just a "little bit purest" .......but hey ...its my opinion and what do I know! :roll:

Quote:
"PS Painting the cam cover in the crackle red has aged me 15 years and given me a nervous" twitch

..............Why?
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kenny » Wed May 23, 2007 8:09 pm

No not a purist Brian but like to see a nice installation and know what other like minded chaps thoughts are. As for the my comments on the "crackle red" which I put a smilie at the end of, I as a numpty found it quite difficult to apply.......thats all.

Thanks anyway,

Kenny
kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Thu May 24, 2007 7:48 am

If you plan on leaving the head unpainted won't it go all scungy/oxidised and look orrible after a while?
You can get spray cans of high temperature clear which would probably keep it looking OK. I have a can that reckons it's good for 650C which should just about do a Twink....

Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 65 Lotus » Thu May 24, 2007 10:43 pm

I struggled briefly with the same decision and decided to paint it. It gives the engine a nice, finished look and makes it easy to clean as there few, if any, pores in which dirt and oil can accumulate.

I used Dupli-Color brand Engine Enamel with Ceramic 500 F paint, color DE1611 New Ford Grey and have been very happy with the color and performance.
Scott In Ohio
26/3795
65 Lotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: