Dellorto carb problem

PostPost by: pereirac » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:53 am

HI,

I have just refitted my carbs back on my Elan fter stripping them down, cleaning them (not bead blasting, just pertol and thinners) and replacing all the seals..
It now appears that the car is only running on the front two cylinders only (if I pull the leads off the back cylinders there is no difference to the way the engine runs...badly.

I have a little colortune so I know the problem is not electrical.

I have opened up the float chamber and there is some fuel in the chamber (I did replace the valve and adjusted the float level.

Before I fight with the nuts and remove the carbs off the car (and skin off my knuckles), does anybody have any suggestions.... please :?

Thanks

Carl
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:04 am

First check that you have no air leaks around the mounting, by rem & ins the carbs you disturb the position reletive to each other as you never get them back in the same position.
The chances are that you have upset the balance between the two sets of carbs, there is a spring loaded adjustment between the two carbs, with a pipe or tube you must listen to the air intake at each carb and adjust the screw untill both sets of carbs are sucking the same (hiss) when they are then you must adjust the mixture screws one at a time untill the engine runs as smooth as possible.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:05 pm

Brian,

Thanks for the suggestion
I remember the 'hosepipe' trick from my days playing wih SU Carbs.. worked as well as any fancy instrument...

I will go and try that

Carl
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:58 pm

Hi.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14457

Sounds like you haven't set the carbs up properly.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:09 pm

It's amazing the difference a pair of balanced carbs can make.. :-)

Thanks for all your help

Carl
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: