Petrol tank hose

PostPost by: magnus » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:51 am

Hi everybody

The smell of petrol in +2 is a well known fact. I?ve removed the vent-hoses to the tank (and plugged the them) but it still smells, particularly in the boot. I think it comes from the rubber hose that connects the filler cap with the tank. This hose is 39 years old by now and the vapours could perhaps penetrate old rubber? Does anybody know if this part is still available or if there?s any substitute for it.

Greatful for advice

Magnus
magnus
New-tral

PostPost by: chrishewett » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:33 pm

Christopher Neil stocks them. About ?20.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:54 pm

msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:24 pm

I've posted similar queries to this myself.
It unfortunately seems the most likely culprit being the felt between the base of the tank and the chassis being petrol soaked, something I'll myself investigate if my plugged vent hoses-tecnique don't show results in the smell area..

A bastard of a job involving removing the tank..
Thor Svaboe
1973 +2S130/5 white/silver

http://thorsvaboe.googlepages.com
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: magnus » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:46 am

OK, thanks. I?ve also studied the other thread. It?s many things to think about in this matter. I think I?ll by a new hose and see if that helps
Magnus
magnus
New-tral

PostPost by: thor » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:46 pm

Don't you get a lot of trouble filling the tank by having completely removed the vent hoses?(vaccuum..)?

I've plugged them myself, though there is a small hole in one of the plugs, and upon inspection last night in the garage where it's stored, the smell seemed to have dissappeared.
Thor Svaboe
1973 +2S130/5 white/silver

http://thorsvaboe.googlepages.com
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: magnus » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:19 am

Well, obviously the filling of the tank gets real slow, and I cant fill it up more than half (this also contributes to the vapour build up wich in it self could be a problem...). But I?ve never experienced any vacuum problems while driving, perhaps because the cap not being perfectly airthight, or, wich I?ve heard from someone, that the cap on my car actually is ventilated.

I think in the future the arrangement for me will be (as described in this forum) a thin pipe routed through the original vents and a original size vent connected to the filler neck. That sounds like a good solution to get rid of this problem.

Regards Magnus
magnus
New-tral

Total Online: