Leaking Weber Carb

PostPost by: LoTex » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:28 pm

The forward weber DCOE 40 carb on my 65 Elan S2 is leaking gas, especially when I punch the accelerator. It leaks out through the Venturi into the breather box and down from there. Not a huge amount but certainly enough to be danagerous.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?
LoTex
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: schroeder » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:44 pm

Suggest you check float level.

Stu
schroeder
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:30 pm

This is a relatively common problem with fuel getting between the auxillary venturis and the carb bodies and then running out the inlets.

Make sure the springclips that hold the aux venturies in place have not lost their tension as they help the seal the connection between the passage in the carb body and the main fuel outlet in the centre of the aux venturi and minimise leakage behind the venturis.

If this does not fix you problem you then need to make up some kind of seal between the carb bodies and the trumpets. The attached photo shows the radial gap between the aux venturies and the carb body where the trumpet sleeve fits in. The trumpet has a flange that sits in the groove at the top of the carb body, a small O ring or gasket behind this flange effectively stops any remaining leakage from running out the front of the carbs into the air box.

regards
Rohan
Attachments
40DCOE end view.JPG and
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LoTex » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:54 pm

rgh0:

Many thanks for the tip. I added an O-ring where you specified and that seems to have cured the problem!

LoTex
LoTex
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: LoTex » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:20 pm

rgh0:

Many thanks for the tip. I added an O-ring where you specified and that seems to have cured the problem!

LoTex
LoTex
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: