Advice - carbs airbox clogged with oil!

PostPost by: alaric » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:43 pm

Seaandmoor,

What sort of oil are you using? Also, is it possible that you're not using the car very often. I was very impressed with your engine when I saw it - it is you isn't it - with the lagoon blue +2? Sorry if I've mistaken you for someone else. I was also wondering if your engine just needed a good thrashing to clear out moisture in the oil - maybe a couple of hours down the motorway. Is there a creamy deposit under the oil filler cap? If so, then it's because the engine oil's not evaporating moisture etc. 'cause it never gets a chance.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:25 am

[quote="mastijo"]I only have 300 miles on it. The engine was completely rebuilt. I have read that the blow by may be caused by the rings not being bedded in yet.I plan to try the catch tank and monitor to see how it goes
John[/quote)

John,
Although a catch tank may help to some degree as the T.C. does not breath well, I think you have some basic problem. It sounds like you are getting blowby past the rings which means they are not sealing.
As the engine has been rebuilt I assume the pistons/bores/rings are all good
with no broken rings and the correct rings fitted the correct way round, was the engine rebored and if not were the bores de-glazed (horned) ?
IMHO it is not a good idea to use a synthetic or multi-grade oil with a rebuilt engine,the oil is just too good and does not allow bedding in. Use a stright SAE 30 or 40 grade for the first 500 miles, one way which you could try to bed the rings is to get the engine to operating temp, then drive the car in 4th gear and accerate from about 1200 rpm to about 4000rpm USEING ONLY 4TH GEAR.
Do this 7 or 8 times then run the engine normally for a few days and check if it has helped. I have done this before on verious cars and it can help in some cases if the problem is a case of bedding in.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seaandmoor » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:05 pm

Hi Sean and Mastijo
Difficult for me to answer for certain.
However, what I can tell you is that I've temporarily taken the breather off the back of the airbox and Alan Voigts changed both the gearbox oil and the Engine oil as he felt it had got the wrong type of oil in... forgot to ask him what type he uses :oops:
Also now that everythings works, it gets driven more.
The situation has certainly improved and I get very little in the temporary catch bottle.
Sooo you may both be right and I think it now time for me to order up a more permanent piece of kit from Cliveboy!
Seaandmoor.
seaandmoor
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: