Fuel tank sender unit

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:57 pm

According to my March '70 workshop manual (Lotus), I do not have to remove the tank in order to change the sender unit. Section L4 explains the procedure. It refers to the removal of a centre lock ring.

Before I get too far into this ...... is this correct?

The replacement sender unit appears to have no such centre locking ring, merely a series of holes around the perimeter, and a matching gasket. From what I can see, the existing sender unit is the same.

So, can it be done with the tank in-situ?

I'm guessing my version of the manual did not cover the later Sprint variant.

Regards,

Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:02 pm

Stuart,
I would say No. Mine is as you describe. It sits facing the front of the car and is well down in against the glass fibre. After you have change/worked you will want to verify fuel tightness. I had mine tipped on it end in the garden so the fuel went against the gasket to ensure no leaks. Since it is a bit of swine of job to move the rubber pipe and slide the filler neck, I would not want to repeat it due to a leak.

I have an early spyder tank and the little brass screws go right through into the fuel. Means that even with your cork gasket etc it is easy to get a leak down the thread. Some thought should be given to some kind of sealant that resist petrol on the threads. I intend on re sealing mine as when I had the rear jacked last yaer I had a bit of a weep from the sender area.

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:05 pm

Mike,

Thanks for that. Fuel for thought (poor pun intended)!

Any ideas on the sealant for the screws?

Regards,

Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:14 pm

tiny copper washers under the screw heads maybe?
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: miked » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:27 pm

Yeh Emma reminded me!

I forgot to mention that mine have tiny little brass washers . I think I spent about 20 minutes looking around in Halfords to find something. I think it was a threadlock product by loctite that will withstand petrol. I cant put my hands on it. Like i said I have not been back into do it as it seemed to seal. Perhaps the cork swelled. I do intend to have ago at a reseal this summer.

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:36 pm

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I've removed the tank and sender unit. PO said he'd fitted a new sender ..
... not at all sure about that. Anyway, the float was holed. New sender and cork gasket now fitted.

Tank on one side in the garage with a little old petrol in it. No leaks yet, so fingers crossed.

Yes, there were little stainless steel washers with the old securing screws. Trying a dry seal with no gasket sealer.

Regards,

Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:49 pm

Best sealant I found for this application was the stuff that doesn't harden. It begins with an 'H' but, its on the tip of my tongue, can't remember it. Help!

Greg Z
'72 Sprint
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:31 pm

Hermetite? the golden stuff doesn't harden, the green stuff does, the red stuff is semi-hardening.

or Hylomar? non setting similar to Hermetite golden but comes in blue
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:06 pm

The new sender unit was on test overnight in the garage, with a little petrol in the tank.

The seal has held up well, just using the new cork gasket, screws and the little washers.

Fingers crossed.

Regards,

Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:08 pm

Yes, Hylomar! Thanks! Senior moment there, sorry.

Greg Z
'72 Sprint (I think)
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:51 pm

Greg,
Clitoris?

Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:48 pm

Thanks Pete. That's certainly a memory perk up!
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt7c » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:36 am

I obtained a new sender unit from Paul Matty's last year, but I think it must be for a later model (as is so often the case for S1/S2 owners!). As I recall it had 3 terminals, but I had only 2 leads. The resultant display is a little scatty, although I have come to understand it.

When the tank is completely full, the guage reads nothing (ie, the pointer is at 'home' well left of the E, like the sender isn't sending). When the tank gets gown to a certain level, the gauge jumps into life and starts to record Full (which isn't true). Shortly ater, the gauge starts to read halfway and thereafter it records lowering fuel levels (although I haven't tried to find out how full it is when it starts to say half). I never get any reading between half and full. I assume that this has something to do with the exposed contacts on the inside of the sender (ie when the float and arm raise and lower, a copper contact crosses a selection of stationery contacts). I admit to being surprised at this design which seems to me to be capable of producing sparks (not good inside the fuel tank) and being shorted when submerged in petrol (hence no reading before half full?).

Anyone have any idea what is going on and how to get around this?
1965 Elan S2
Matt7c
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:27 pm

I think a little "setting" of the arm was required before fitting as it seems that at full it's going off the rheostat windings.....

P.S. don't worry about petrol shorting it or sparks.....
There is no problem

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt7c » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:02 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:I think a little "setting" of the arm was required before fitting as it seems that at full it's going off the rheostat windings.....

Aah, that makes sense. "Setting" the arm can go on the list for a rainy day...thanks.
1965 Elan S2
Matt7c
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: