Gummed-up Fuel Tank Outlet

PostPost by: avhation » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:11 pm

The outlet pipe from my fuel tank is completely blocked with gunge. A probe seems to reach the floor of the tank but 50 psi will not blow through the pipe. The tank is only 10 years or so old and I assume that there is not a pick up filter. The gunge looks like a black mass about 1cc right in the corner of the tank around the pipe. Fresh petrol added for the past 3 months has not shifted it. Can anyone recommend a powerful solvent (e.g. cellulose thinners or Nitromors stripper) that I can tip into the corner of the tank to dissolve the gunge and enable me to flush it out with petrol? I want to avoid the expense of using the POR-15 process if possible.

Thanks in anticipation of results from this brilliant site.

Avhation
'67 S3 FHC Medici blue
avhation
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:00 pm

Sounds like someone may have used an internal sealing compound on your tank?

I'd try cellulose thinner (gun-wash because it's cheap) but if it is sealant you'll either have to do it again or buy a new tank
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:07 pm

I agree with John. I think someone tried to seal the tank or, if you had bought it new, perhaps some solder or weld or paint got down in that corner. I'd try a flush with a can of bolts and nuts as agitators. Swish around some cleaning fluid of some sort along with the nuts and bolts to see if you can dislodge it.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rickf » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:57 pm

If you haave the tank out, I'd take it to a radiator repair shop and see what they can do with it. Once they've boiled it out they can usually solder up any leaks. i haven't had a tank done in a while, but it didn't used to cost too much.
Cheers,<br>Rick<br>1972 Elan +2
rickf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: brassringfarm » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:09 pm

As a young Chemical Engineer I loved Xylene or Toluene as a solvent for such things. It's the main ingredient in Carb Cleaner I believe. You can buy a quart at Home Depot or home centers. Paint thinner for urethane paint is also a potent mixture. Of course all of these are now labeled as hazardous/carcinogenic - so don't drink them or smoke near them. In the old days I washed my hands with them all the time. Nowadays, I might wear latex gloves if I had some. Just do it outside. I doubt that alcohol based thinners would touch it.
Paul Zimmerman
65 S2
brassringfarm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: avhation » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:10 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Cellulose thinners (toluene and xylene) dribbled down the outlet pipe and left for several days has enable me to poke through at last.
avhation
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: