What To Wash Carbs In?

PostPost by: tdafforn » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:16 pm

Hi,
I am repacing the seals in my Dellortos and was going to give them a throrough clean.
What do you all use to clean carbs?
petrol, cellulose thinners, white spirit, ethanol...
Cheers
Tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bvt » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:50 pm

Cleaning things....

If you can get access to an Ultrasonic cleaner (as used by Jewellery people) then this with the ammonia based cleaner is excellent.

I brought such a cleaner for ?100 and use it for loads of things where you don't want to remove the actual surface just the dirt etc.

The cleaner isn't just ammonia solution.. A mate got me some... but the ultra sonic is really good, it get's in the nooks and crannies where normal cleaning does not., even with mild detergent and warm water it is good.

I never tried it but I guess with an automotive degreaser/cleaner it may be even better!
bvt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:07 pm

Thats a really good thought, we have a couple at work although I am not sure how whether they would be big enough for a whole carb.
BTW when you say amonia cleaner, do you mean just amonia solution?
Tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:30 pm

i use Dunk throw the carb in a large container for 24 hours and it comes out nice ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:51 pm

Tim,
There was a thread on this last year (see archives). Redex is the weapon of choice. Leave your bits in it overnight and they will be gleaming in the morning!

Incidentally, if you take this the wrong way and put your personal "bits" in it, there is another type of Redex sold in the States which is for cows with sore udders- both ways you win!

Cheers,
Pete :lol:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:42 pm

bag balm ?-----on your carbs?------must make them soft to the touch and easy to set up :lol: ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:50 pm

I would stick with the special carburetor cleaners available at the auto parts store only. Carbies are made from rather highly reactive metals which are surface passivated with a variety of soft coatings which can be easily damaged. Once the corrosion process usually internally at the bottom of the float bowl gets well established then the carbie is toast.
-Keith
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: