S4 Choke cable (Strombergs)

PostPost by: 106500 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:45 pm

I'm changing the choke cable on my Stromberg Elan S4 having bought a replacement from Paul Matty's. The trouble is the replacement is considerably shorter (1.5m) than the one taken off (1.7m which itself is just long enough).

Can anyone explain what is the correct length?

The configuration on my car is that the cable enters the right hand carb on the left hand side from above, leads down and back up over the left carb and enters on the left hand side of that carb from above. Is this correct?

Thanks in anticipation of your comments.
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 72plus2 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:09 am

Perhaps your cable is not the correct part. My federal Elan (with cross-over tubing and 175 CD2 emissions carbs) has a cold start device only on the front carb. I suspect the thought was that the cross-over tubing would mix the enriched mixture and supply all of the cylinders on cold start up.

On another thread recently a suggestion to source choke and throttle cables from bicycle parts was made. Apparently these are cheaper and a higher quality.

Chris
72 plus 2
72plus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:15 am

Sounds like you have the Weber choke cable. The correct Stromberg one should indeed reach the rear carb, as you suggest.

I have a Weber cable on my S4 but have got it to work with Strombergs. I added a piece of cable casing to reach the front carb, and I've used a separate cable & casing to link the front carb to the rear one, using the same routing that you have. The extra cable is clamped to the front carb mechanism with the same screw that holds the end of the main cable.
It's not original, but it works :) !

I no longer use the choke now, anyway. I found that I kept getting problems with it sticking on or open, or leaking, resulting in flooding. Now I wait until it's warmed up enough to idle by itself before I set off, which hasn't been a problem here in the UK over winter.

The amazing fuel economy and excellent torque spread makes the Stromberg engine so 'drive-able' - do you agree ? I find it easier to adjust to after driving a 'modern' diesel than my Dellorto +2....

Best wishes,
Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:37 am

buy a rear brake cable from a bike and cut it to size -----ed
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:49 pm

The choke cable does indeed go to the front carb first from above & then goes down under it & then back up to enter the rear carb from above.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:54 pm

Yes lets hear it for the Stromberg carb :D

The Constant Vacuum type of carb gives better torque than other designes. The fuel atomisation is also excellent which gives good economy as well. With a bit of tweeking their flow can be improved and good levels of power achieved with a nice fat torque curve. As Tony Thompson says "Torque wins races".

I have just flowed out the Stromberg carbs according to Vizard's tips for the SU which should have the engine producing around 135bhp@6500rpm, when I add the TTR big bore exhaust it should get nearer to 140bhp@6500rpm. I will post up the dyno results in the spring when the car is back on the road.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 106500 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:30 pm

Managed to get the 1.5m cable to fit, things were a bit tight but I managed it ok. The choke is a bit heavy to operate but I expected this. Just one point; is it correct that the driver needs to hold it in the open position? - i.e. if let go, the choke retracts immediately....there seems to be no lock facility.

IMHO the Stomberg is well suited to the S4 - even looks better than Webers!
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:03 pm

I remember that mine once used to lock in the fully open position, as I think the cams on the side of the carbs may have a slightly flatter section at the end of their travel? That was before I lubricated the cable (and the 'shaft' that goes through the ferrule in the dashboard) to try to reduce the force required to pull it on, as you have noted. It is now the same as yours, which is another reason why I don't use it !

Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:21 pm

A quarter turn in either direction should lock it
John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: