Lotus Elan

non failsafe vacuum pods

PostPost by: jono » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:26 pm

..in usable or recoverable condition anyone?

Cheers

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JoeMan78 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:18 pm

Ive got a couple just taken out of my ‘70 +2s. Drop me a pm if you’re interested!
1970 +2S in Gold Leaf colours!
JoeMan78
New-tral

PostPost by: skelteanema » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:26 am

Are these no longer available new, or do you want a serviceable used pair? I bought a new pair a few years back from either SJSportscars or Paul Matty. I think SJsportscars still have them listed, but not sure if they are in stock:

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and- ... /SJ506.htm (right side)

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and- ... /SJ509.htm (left side)
Skittle. 1967 Elan S3 DHC
skelteanema
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:43 am

Thanks chaps, I was aware they are available new but at that price I would probabaly go for an electric conversion which is quite a bit cheaper.

Joe - unless I'm mistaken the vac pods for a +2S will be failsafe I think?
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JoeMan78 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:51 pm

Hi Jono,
You should know by now that no two Elans are the same!

These are definitely non-failsafe - one on each side and working against the spring. I've replaced them with actuators running off a relay from the side lights! Been sitting in the garage since January.
JoeMan78
New-tral

PostPost by: jono » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:14 pm

Thanks Joe - PM sent
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mike+2 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:33 pm

JoeMan78 wrote:
These are definitely non-failsafe - one on each side and working against the spring. I've replaced them with actuators running off a relay from the side lights! Been sitting in the garage since January.

JoeMan.. I would love more detail about the side lights relay triggering your actuators. If you have time, it would be appreciated.

Mike+2
Mike N

+2 50/1974
65 TR4A IRS
Mike+2
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: JoeMan78 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:59 pm

Sure - I have not long had the car back together and broke my hand last week in a strategic bank holiday weekend DIY accident so might struggle to take any photo's for a little while.

Basically I have run a double pole, double throw relay off the spare terminal on the side-light fuse box as the signal trigger - permanent power comes straight off the ignition switch with an in-line fuse. This acts to supply either a +12V or -12V supply to the actuators which are wired in parrallell and Earthed to the Steering rack.

The Headlamps are always on, and power is cut by the microswitch in the down position - or at least they are in mine! Therefore they automatically light when power goes to the actuators to raise them.

The Actuators were sourced from amazon (ASIN number B0881HSDG9), and they have 100mm throw. Rigging up some stainless bolts to the existing mounting points for the vacuum pods and some short adjustable strips to fine-tune the lift arc took a bit of fiddling but they're good.

A little slow (about 10 seconds) to raise or lower but taking the unreliable airflow from the inlet manifold has made it much easier to tune the webbers!
JoeMan78
New-tral

Total Online: