Lotus Elan

Wanted - Lotus Elan Master cylinder, pushrods

PostPost by: whaig » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:57 pm

Does anyone have the original pushrods for an 69 ElanS4, I bought new master cylinders, but do not have the correct pushrods, and don’t have the original pushrods either.
Last edited by whaig on Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whaig
New-tral

PostPost by: elanner » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:31 pm

You should be able to reuse the pushrod from the original master cylinder, which you can be sure is the correct length.

A potential problem when doing this is that the hole for the clevis pin has worn into an oval shape over the years, so that there is too much play in the pedal motion. This is a common situation. I assume the answer is to live with the play, which was there with the original master cylinder, or open up the hole and fit a bush.

The hole in the pedal can also wear into an oval. This would be tricky/tedious to fix but I believe is less common.

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Billmack » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:54 pm

I have repaired both the pedals and the pushrod clevis holes by welding and re drilling in other British cars. Its a knotty problem sometimes. There used to be umpteen different part numbers for the same cylinders with different pushrod styles. That was commonized to few. Many are now threaded ends(no clevis) and can be used with a clevis from something like an mg a or early spridget.
Billmack
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Lotusian » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:54 pm

If you can’t find originals, there are adjustable versions on eBay:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224319273725
Lotusian
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: whaig » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:08 am

Thanks for the response, it is an option
whaig