Lotus Elan

S2 Dash panel to draw around Please

PostPost by: seriouslylotus » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:07 am

I am in two minds as to whether to start building the GTS parts into a car.
One of the first jobs is to install the adjustable pedal box
To achieve the correct position I will need to install the steering column and i don't have a dash panel to get it into the right place, SO....
Does any one in the north east of the UK have an S2 Dash panel i could draw round please?
Or an old one that has been changed they are willing to part with ? (Do NOT want a mint/good condition one as a new one will be made to be light and only have holes for the required race car stuff that's needed)
Thanks a lot
Dave
seriouslylotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:31 am

Maybe I got lucky doing mine.

I copied the location of the steering column hole to my new shell from my old one. I then fussed around with where the TTR race pedal box had to fit, and there was really only one possibility to deal with the hole location. Later, fitting the dash and then the column, it lined up okay.

This a left hand drive setup. John
baileyman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:37 am

Dave, one of the advantages of the twin U/J column is that it is easier to get the steering wheel where you want it and square to the dash rather than at an angle.
I put my seat in , put the column in and moved it around until I had the wheel where I wanted it.
Then the pedal box and dash opening for it are accommodated around it.
That is possible to do with the triumph column too but I found I wanted to put the wheel slightly to the right of the stock position and that would have meant to stock wheel at slightly more of an angle.
In order to get the dash 'right' I traced a S1 dash. Flip it over and it does the glovebox side. The S2 is deeper, so just draw it deeper, avoiding knees.
Also the central bit can be moved slightly to the left, again to avoid knees.
I have this template in paper form and can send it up if you like.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Peterson JPS Exige
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:41 am

Ps....because of this the pedal box moves to the right.
Because of this...........the fibreglass in the engine bay was enlarged to accommodate the new position of the throttle linkages and arch opened up for the front brake M/C( more than you'd do anyway).
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Peterson JPS Exige
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: