Lotus Elan

Elan +2 bonnet

PostPost by: dr_jayhart » Wed May 27, 2020 8:37 pm

Evening. I’d like to fit a smooth bonnet no power bulge to my 68+2. Where would you recommend? Boss, sjs mick Miller? Also I’d like to buy new bolts etc is there a kit for all the bolts I can buy?
Many thanks

Jay
dr_jayhart
New-tral

PostPost by: Lotusian » Thu May 28, 2020 3:00 pm

Whoever you buy from, make sure they know it’s an early car. The one I got from Boss Motors had the rear bobbins in the wrong place (too high or too low, can’t remember which). Not sure if they have the correct mould, as I ended up getting them to refurbish my damaged bonnet instead.
Lotusian
New-tral

PostPost by: mikealdren » Thu May 28, 2020 4:00 pm

The early bonnets had a spring to the front cross-member ((rack?) to open the bonnet, later cars just have cutouts at the trailing edge to allow you to get your fingers in and lift the bonnet.

My aftermarket bonnet (sorry, I don't know where it was from) had far too long a front cross beam and it was to the rear of the pivot bobbins. I had to cut the tubular section down to length and re-fasten to the side strips.

You can adjust the curve of the trailing edge of the bonnet to match the scuttle of your car by bending the bonnet and then securing it to the rear reinforcing member with pop rivets, I think they actually did this in the factory. One of my bonnets has 3 rivets, the other just one.
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bitsobrits » Thu May 28, 2020 7:39 pm

If your current bonnet fits well, why would you not consider just cutting out your bulge and 'glassing in a smooth section? You can even save the bulge for the next owner. I would think it would take 3-4 hours plus repainting time, which are going to have to do anyway with a new bonnet.
Steve

Elan S1 1963-Bourne bodied
Elan S3 1967 FHC pre airflow

Formerly:
Elan S1 1964
Elan S3 1966 FHC pre airflow
Elan S3 1967 FHC airflow
Elan S4 1969 FHC
Europa S2 1970
Esprit S2 1979
bitsobrits
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pptom » Thu May 28, 2020 8:03 pm

I've got an old one, brought it for the metal brace which I've removed.
Located in Northampton, it requires work though, can't remember any obvious cracks, but the paintwork needs completely removing.
Yours for £10 if it's any good.
pptom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri May 29, 2020 4:50 am

I always liked the hump bonnet on my 1970 +2S which had webers. Very 60's look and like many cars of that period.
Rear of bonnet 2 oblong holes.
Baby Elans had a spring from bonnet to steering rack and was fitted upto and including Sprints.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: