Lotus Elan

Elan +2 alloy wheel centre ring

PostPost by: Bank16 » Sun May 24, 2020 3:50 pm

Wondered if anyone in the UK had a spare centre ring for an Elan +2 original alloy wheel (as arrowed on photo). I've never had one for the spare wheel and as I'm now at the end of a long restoration and the car is officially back on the road after 16/17 yrs I thought I'd better try and find one. I've tried all the usual suppliers (Sue Miller, Paul Matty, etc) but can't get one.

Thanks

Steve
Attachments
IMG_0390.jpg and
Bank16
New-tral

PostPost by: danielmo » Mon May 25, 2020 1:44 am

I’d like to know where you can get them, too.
danielmo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Mon May 25, 2020 9:48 am

In 1982, I exchanged my +2 original alloy wheels with restored ones from Christopher Neil Sportscars. I instructed them to send the wheels to Lotus Cars who were repainting and retrimming the car. Lotus rang me to say the wheels were minus the centre ring so rightly refused to fit them. Basically, they would have fallen off. The wheels were returned and Lotus fitted new ones. I have never seen the centre ring for sale separately. Jim
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:43 am

The original ring appears to be spun formed from a thin wall stainless steel tube to form the shape. if you can find a friendly metal forming shop they should be able to reproduce it from a sample. They would need to make the form for the spinning operation so once set up you could make a few hundred and sell them to the usual suppliers since they have none. Alternatively you could try machining it from a solid tube section but it is thin and would be a challenge to do without it distorting

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Tue May 26, 2020 8:29 pm

Hi Steve

I think that I may have a spare, will check tomorrow.

John
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bank16 » Wed May 27, 2020 6:19 am

Hi John,

Thanks. Send me a PM if you manage to find one.

Steve
Bank16
New-tral

Total Online: