Lotus Elan

+2S Heater box

PostPost by: HCA » Wed May 20, 2020 8:13 am

Might anyone have a heater box, or the front panel off one please - any condition provided it has not been hacked open by some idiot :twisted: to fit a radio.

Thanks
Hal
HCA
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed May 20, 2020 8:20 am

Oh dear, you are having fun aren't you?

I would use rivets to attach a piece of aluminium to the front of the unit to cover the hole and spray it black (not that that was necessary on my heater box.. you know what I'm going to say next!).

If you're going to have a radio that's not an old crappy one, fit a modern mechless unit. These are not as deep as CD radios and will fit without hacking the heater box (bit wider than the old radios, nothing a bit of fettling won't solve).
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Wed May 20, 2020 8:39 am

You may remember Jon, that I was going to do away with the heater and install an integrated aircon and heater, so the old box was going to be scrapped. In reality, the cost of this change was going to be near a couple of grand, I have rethought it and shall use the money for a new gearbox instead, and put back the original with a new core.

Problem is that back in the day, someone really, and I mean really hacked at it through the radio hole so that it is nigh on impossible to make it half way decent again.

I am really after a Cortina Mk2 heater box, but cannot find one anywhere. I think one of the first things you advised me was to fit a tap on the engine to cut the water supply. This is how the Cortina2 had the heating for which they made a smaller heater box without the top flap that shut off the hot air when cold was asked for. Mountings are the same I think, it is just a smaller box.
HCA
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:44 am

+1 to just fitting a cover plate. Silicon around the edges to seal against air leaks too.

On the radio front why not fit a correct radio but with iPhone connection - best of both worlds having the ability to play DAB radio, Spotify your own music files etc plus traditional good looks:

I have these Two for sale and should anyone here want one give me a shout Via PM and I can do a small discount:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124172207033

8B3584B0-428E-4BFE-B05C-8AF9D3D59B75.jpeg and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124172213169

BB940394-C932-4278-9DB6-5210F412663B.jpeg and

Sorry for the partial thread derail but hopefully of use.

Hal - why not give Mark Kempson a shout on the heaterbox doubtless he will know the answer and may know someone that has one available. He runs the Lotus Cortina Information website. He is Elanintheforest here.

Good luck with it.
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed May 20, 2020 5:07 pm

There are 3 different types of Mk2 Cortina heater box that I know of! Only some cars exported had heater valves fitted, whist the rest relied on the on / off flap to direct the heat or not.

I would stick to finding one from a Plus 2. If I dig one out I'll let you know. I thought I had one in a pile of Lotus bits, but I did sell a load of stuff last year.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Wed May 20, 2020 5:50 pm

Thanks Steve.

radio will not be my problem as the one that came with the car is a narrow one and has a USB which will do me fine, thanks!

Thanks Mark

I only did some cursury reading on the Cortina 2, and I guess the exploded views I had access to must have been for the export model. I really cannot see why Ford did not adopt the tap method at the outset as the box with a flap to divert heat is a tad convoluted...

I fear that someone really did butcher my heater through the radio hole with a mixture of a cold chisel and a drill! So bad it was that it has actually deformed the whole thing!

However, on the basis that I thought I would never find a complete box, I took an angle grinder to it this afternoon and cut a lot out. As I shall be blanking off the heat flap, I should be able to get the thing looking half decent with some dextrous fiberglassing :D

I managed to track someone down who will make a new core matrix albeit at £105, I am completely stumped finding a new heater motor anywhere outside the USA! I see there are two types - a long and short one. The long one appears not to fit. Do you have a name of anyone who can supply the motor - Smiths p/n FHM4442/02 I believe? I do not want to put the thing back without new core and motor.
HCA
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed May 20, 2020 7:17 pm

I don't I'm afraid. Folks tend to find a better 2nd hand motor or repair the one they have! I was surprised when I cam to rebuild a Cortina heater just how different the casings were. But I was comparing a 1970 Cortina casing to a 1967 Plus 2 one, and that f course could have been the same as a '67 Cortina one! It's hard enough trying to figure out the changes and variations on one car, but to do it with 2 cars and try and match up is fraught with problems...especially after 50 years!

There is a Cortina heater on ebay currently with lots of photos...maybe worth having a look....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Cortina ... Sw1zRelu7A

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sat May 23, 2020 10:11 am

Thanks for the link Mark - I did not need it as I was offered a bare Elan box for free! I am waiting for it to arrive and sent my matrix off for a re-core. Fan motor is elusive though except for a few out of the USA. I shall though adapt a small Spal axial pull fan to sit inside the box (might be noiser I appreciate) in place of the original fan. Then seal off the heat flap, a lick of paint and should be as good as new!
HCA
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bob Smith » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:19 pm

Hi, i have a complete heater box if you havent got one yet. Its in good condition and ready to fit. You will have to collect though. I am in the Northwest of England. Its £75.00 . Cheers Bob
Bob Smith
New-tral

PostPost by: HCA » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:26 pm

Thanks Bob! I have it sorted and set up now. But hang on to the box - the way the bad design forced people to butcher them to fit a radio, I am sure others behind me will want to ‘start again’.
HCA
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bob Smith » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:36 pm

No probs mate, glad your sorted.
Bob Smith
New-tral

Total Online: