Points to electronic????

PostPost by: nomad » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:06 am

Well, I live in the US Midwest and have only experienced points corrosion that prevented starting after the car sat for several years. Other cars are easier to get to, but a swipe with a fold of wet or dry does that job usually. Agree with the substandard condensers. To date I have managed to source NOS or keep a good old ones going.

Curious about how well a 123 or other ignition plays with the tachometer?

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:36 am

nomad wrote:Curious about how well a 123 or other ignition plays with the tachometer?

My experience with that aspect is not exhaustive, and not totally satisfactory yet : when I overhauled my S4 I decided to fit an 123 dizzy (works great, no affiliation), which lead to fit a high power Bosch coil. The tacho went misbehaving (either from aging capacitors etc. , due to the change in electrical setup or possibly incorrect reassembly), so in a pinch I opted to fit a Spydia module to keep the appearance stock: this required some fettling and selection of "high sensitivity" input, which makes it rather sensitive to dash voltage supply (tends to get stuck when turning the windshield defogger fan). I would need to experiment some more (other Spydia settings and more fettling, stock known working tacho etc...) to get a clearer picture of what works, but I've managed to make do so far and postpone till I redo the whole dash...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:11 pm

nomad wrote:Curious about how well a 123 or other ignition plays with the tachometer?

Whether any of the electronic ignition modules cause issues with standard tacho will be down to how they are wired. If you power the 123 from the coil, then it is drawing power through the tacho that could effect tacho operation. If you power it from a separate switched power supply, then its unlikely to cause issues.

I can't confirm this, as i also have a spydia module in my tacho. I do have working tacho that is reasonably accurate.

If you have the bluetouth 123, you can get a very accurate RPM reading in the 123 app on your phone. This meassures to 50rpm and is useful for tuning carbs etc.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:30 pm

2cams70 wrote:22,500 miles! - that's only 2 sets of points

I'd be surprised if I've had 4 sets in ten times that mileage, and rarely check them, though I don't drive flat out nowadays.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:18 pm

I’ve had Aldon Igniters (Pertronix) on 3 different cars and never had a problem. Fitted one to my +2 but it’s not running yet. However, have heard of lots of problems with recent Aldon units so I’m thinking of replacing it. I spoke with a well known engine builder who swears by Powerspark (Simonbloc) saying they never have problems and are cheap. I’ll get one even if I keep it in the glovebox.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:02 am

Quart Meg Miles wrote:
2cams70 wrote:22,500 miles! - that's only 2 sets of points

I'd be surprised if I've had 4 sets in ten times that mileage, and rarely check them, though I don't drive flat out nowadays.

Agree, points for me have always done far better than a set to 11K.

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: