PostPost by: jono » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:26 pm

...this was my simple solution
Attachments
P1050431 (Copy).jpg and
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:58 pm

When I got my +2 the engine was fitted with what looks like an identical timing wheel. No idea of the source but clearly available at some time. The EFI had been removed unfortunately but I still have the wheel for a future upgrade project.
It seems a much better engineering solution to me as drilling into a cast iron flywheel seems fraught with flywheel failure possibilities especially if used for racing.

21E6CE8A-99A3-4708-97B2-2B48BF969325.jpeg and
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:39 pm

This is where I got most of my bits:

http://trigger-wheels.com/store/content ... ensor.html

The toothed pulley kit was from Burton and I mounted the trigger wheel to the back of the crank pulley.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElanDNA » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:07 pm

Another solution:
Adjustable, mounted with adapter on the OE pulley, finely balanced together with the crankshaft.

DSC00047.JPG and
ElanDNA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:48 am

Thanks Richard - exactly what I was looking for, although If I end up dimple drilling the wheel, I might use only a 13mm drill bit - just to give an extra bit of meat on the top of the tooth. This is the critical part of a trigger wheel as it must be wider than the magnetic print of the VR sensor - 3mm will well cover this, but 4mm even better!

QED! I give up on them. Simon does not answer mails and sometimes can be very vague when you talk to him. Since buying a few parts from the US, I noticed how bad it is in the UK and quickly got used to customer service US style..! OK, Sue Miller is very good and tries hard, but she is overworked and forgets things under sheer pressure, but QED and Kelvedon just take the biscuit.

You are right that 36-1 is perhaps the most popular in our world as it is the Ford method - easy and readily available. 60-2 technology though is as widespread, used by VAG, Mercedes and GM acclaimed to be more accurate, but harder to set up. Emerald caters for both. I waiting a week now for Simon to come back that QED will mill slots in a road engine flywheel - I care not if it is 60 or 36 teeth, I just want the price :lol:

Glad you are on the mend!
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:45 pm

Hal,

I agree, Simon is a bit vague, Sue is a lovely person trying to maintain her late husbands business by herself. I am able to visit either of them in person, but it is along day for me to do so.

A long time ago,10 years or more, I read a magazine article about a conversion of a Ford engine (cross flow or pinto, I forget which) to an EDIS. The author used a Zetec flywheel as a drill jig, he drilled through the Zetec flywheel into the cross flow/pinto flywheel, and this is what I intended to do. However, when I bought an old Zetec flywheel and did some measurements I was concerned by the amount of metal that I was going to remove from my twin cam flywheel. At this point I did some internet research about flywheels and trigger patterns, and noticed that some manufacturers had a separate trigger wheel (reluctor ring) attached to the flywheel. I did a simple drawing and showed this to my local machine shop who wanted £250 + VAT to make the ring. QED offered a new steel flywheel with trigger pattern for the same price.

I should add that without a face to face meeting with Simon and Dennis, the machine shop man, I don’t think I would have got what I needed.

Hope this helps,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: