Removing timing front cover

PostPost by: friedy » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:52 pm

As the cover wasn't coming off no matter how much leverage I did, I then tried a slide hammer fixed on the pulley flange, again no movement in waterpump it just started to move the pulley flange. So then I decided to carry on and remove the flange from the shaft. I removed the retaining clip, then with help, had levers under each side of cover and with a mallet knocked the shaft down, this is then obviously what caused the bearing assy to come out of the cover. Now I have everything off I can see there is no way the pump would have come out of the back plate conventionally, its so corroded up. Had to press out on fly press.
20220120_134707.jpg and
friedy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:12 pm

The aluminium 'doughnut' with the two O-rings in the waterpump should never have any sealant goo on it. the proper procedure would be just to oil the O-rings (or maybe use thin grease) before fitting it into the front cover. The rubber O-ring does the sealing!

I think I'd be inclined to use some copper grease there, though I would check to see about any copper-aluminium reaction first. I've only used oil or thin grease on previous replacement of water-pumps and I've done many.

The same advice applies during fitting of the cartridge water-pumps in the 'Burton' or other front conversions.

My normal way of getting the front cover off was to use a two long strips of wood with rectangular cross-section (says 2"x1" but may need a smaller one to fit in). slide them down inside the timing case from the top, then twist them both so that they apply a fairly even outward force to the front cover.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: