V R Sensor Location

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:43 pm

Has anyone fitted a V R sensor triggered by the flywheel? If so, where did you locate the sensor, and are you happy with the results?

QED sell flywheels and sensor brackets for this application, but do not seem to know where and how to install the sensor bracket.

Photos of a successful installation would be a big help.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pptom » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:07 pm

I've got the QED setup, it really is bolt in. The bracket bolts to the corner of the sump through the existing sump bolt holes (carb side of engine)
Undo 3 bolts, fit 3 spacers and bracket in place, refit 3 bolts, 5 min job really.

The toothed front pulley is a straight swap also, you just have to determine which tooth you need to file down to provide the trigger.

I used a standard Ford sensor.
No pictures, sorry, but maybe able to get some later in the week if required.
pptom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:42 pm

RichardHawkins wrote:Has anyone fitted a V R sensor triggered by the flywheel? If so, where did you locate the sensor, and are you happy with the results?

QED sell flywheels and sensor brackets for this application, but do not seem to know where and how to install the sensor bracket.

Photos of a successful installation would be a big help.

Richard Hawkins

There is a block - not sure if QED have this or not - that carries the Ford sensor that sits abot 0730 on the gearbox casing but it involves drilling a locating hole in the gearbox casing and a viewing hole through the dirt cover. I looked at moving to the flywheel on a new engine build, but it is not as simple as using the front pulley.

Have you actually got the trigger flywheel? What was your reason in choosing this method? As said above, there is a natty ready made bracket for the Ford sensor that bolts onto the engine to pick up a trigger wheel on the front pulley that is an awful lot simpler.

I had a quick look on tinternet for a photo of the flywheel sensor mounting but cannot find one! Maybe shows how unpopular they are 8)
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pptom » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:00 pm

Sorry Richard, I didn't read your message properly and somehow missed the 'fylwheel' aspect, my mind twisted it to the pulley!

As you may have guessed, mine is on the front of the engine, it doesn't really take up much more space than the original pulley and is not very noticeable behind the rad etc. Easier to play with and cheaper than that fancy lightweight toothed flywheel I see on their website.
I would certainly choose my setup, but then my +2 is a road car and you may have different criteria.
pptom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:18 pm

Thanks for the comments, my engine is out and I had seen the small aluminium bracket on the QED web site some time ago and decided this looked like the thing to use. When I asked QED where this bracket fits they told me it fits at the rear of the engine and is triggered by the notches in the flywheel, and that they have an alternative bracket for the front of the engine. I have spent a lot of money and effort sealing the sump, and did not want to loosen sump bolts and risk an oil leak. Ford fit the VR sensor at the flywheel end on their more recent engines, so I thought it should be a good idea.

QED only want about £70 to put notches in a flywheel for me, and the little bracket is about £30. I would go and visit QED but COVID lockdown prevents that. What really surprises me is that QED don’t seem to know where their own bracket should be fitted, and I hoped that someone here has fitted a V R sensor at the flywheel.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:22 pm

Ford may well fit their trigger on the flywheel now, but these engines are designed for this. It does not mean this is best for older engines.

Triggering at flywheel requires an engine out and a new flywheel. Expensive and time consuming. I am not sure how many here use the flywheel. Google EFI trigger aftermarket and the majority if not all are off the front pulley. Easier and cheaper.

I do not think removing and replacing three sump bolts will allow the gasket to leak.

So, QED do not know anything about what they sell. There is a surprise. Not. You have not bought anything from them so forget them and go to someone who does know: Trigger Wheels, (triggerwheels.com). They are the experts.

If you only plan ignition, then Trigger Wheels can supply the hardware and various control boxes, and maybe suggest Megajolt. If you are going further into EFI, then it is a no brainer to go to Emerald. (emeraldm3d.com) for an ‘all in one’ ECU.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:10 am

Richard
Did this, have the T-shirt , if you have access to a pillar drill it's easy , or at least it was for me...
I just copied the Ford 36-1 pattern , the sensor was fitted in the bottom part of the sandwich plate.
Standard on the left modded on the right , extra drilling for lightness...

efi flywheels.jpg and

John ;-)
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:30 pm

John,

Do you have any more detail? I initially thought I would need to make an additional hole in the block, but after more consideration, and the suggestion made by HCA perhaps the bottom flange of the bell housing (between the sump and the starter) could be used. Is this where you installed your V R sensor?

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:04 pm

Richard
Yes,the flywheel is easily done with a pivot , pillar drill and depth stop..

The bottom closing plate is ideal , just make sure the sensor is aligned and at the right clearance , tried to find more photos, but it's some years ago now, but was good, lasted a lifetime on the car.

John ;-)

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=15338&hilit=megasquirt
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: