Lotus Elan

A Lotus moment.....

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:04 pm

What checks have you done on the fuel system, what fuel pump do you have, the original mechanical one, an after market one or an electric one. Is it giving a good flow or is it starving the engine at higher revs but has sufficient flow for tickover? A sticky or faulty valve in the mechanical pump may give intermittent fuel flow. If you replace the HT electrics as you mention and still have a problem, the fuel supply is the next suspect.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 2tmike » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:30 am

Just to complete this post....the issue was the lumenition mounting plate. Initially the dizzy seemed OK but when I removed the carbs to have a close look I found that the adapter plate for the ignition module had somehow become loose. Really strange because the mounting screw is flush with the top of this plate and the module covers the screw so it shouldn't really be possible....probably a suspect thread ....anyway, refitted with new screw and loctite and it runs cleanly through the rev range....or at least it did until the throttle return spring snapped ...oh well, it is a lotus....
Thanks to everyone for all the helpful suggestions
Elan S4
Gt4
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:19 am

Where in Devon are you? I have just towed in my chums bright yellow one from Devon into Somerset. Burnt out loom in the engine bay. Very lucky there was no fire........................
TBG
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 2tmike » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:24 am

Very lucky indeed - I'm in Barnstaple
Elan S4
Gt4
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:53 am

He was coming from near Abbotsham to me in Somerset. Made it on the end of a rope!!
TBG
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:40 pm

Update. Wire rubbed through on the heater valve as not properly clipped in. Result dashboard out replacing lots of wires................ :roll: :roll:
TBG
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: