Swapping an exhaust manifold and engine out job?

PostPost by: tdskip » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:44 pm

From what I've been able to read up on I don't think so, but wanted to ask. Just spent an hour wiring brushing my exhaust - which as been welded together to be one complete piece - and want to know what I'm in for should I want or need to swap it out later.

Thanks - and hope it's been a good week for everyone so far.

Stay safe.
SoCal
1969 Elan DHC
tdskip
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steve lyle » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:39 pm

On my 72 Sprint, I had to support the engine with a floor jack under the oil pan (with a piece of wood between to spread the load), remove both engine mounts, and move the engine to the far right side (drivers view) in order to get the the headers in when I replaced my stock iron manifold. Edd China had to do something similar when he replaced an Elan header on Wheeler Dealers.

So, no, you don't have to pull the engine. It's not THAT bad. :-)
Steve Lyle
1972 Elan Sprint 0248k @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-Lot ... 48K.30245/
1972 MGB Roadster @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-MG- ... 842G.4498/
2007 BMW 335i Coupe
steve lyle
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tdskip » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:16 pm

Thanks Steve - appreciate the fast response and information as always.
SoCal
1969 Elan DHC
tdskip
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:37 am

Mine needs the engine mount out on that side off. Not too hard.
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tdskip » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:54 am

Thank Chris.
SoCal
1969 Elan DHC
tdskip
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:05 pm

If I remember correctly it was Rohan who advised changing the exhaust studs for bolts, I think he uses socket headed cap screws, to improve clearance, I know this won’t help with removal, but is worth considering to ease re-fitting.

Hope this helps,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdskip » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:18 pm

RichardHawkins wrote:If I remember correctly it was Rohan who advised changing the exhaust studs for bolts, I think he uses socket headed cap screws, to improve clearance, I know this won’t help with removal, but is worth considering to ease re-fitting.

Hope this helps,

Richard Hawkins

Thanks Richard - that is a great tip. Everything is apart now so I have a chance to make little tweaks like that pretty easily now. Great stuff!
SoCal
1969 Elan DHC
tdskip
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:03 pm

tdskip wrote:
RichardHawkins wrote:If I remember correctly it was Rohan who advised changing the exhaust studs for bolts, I think he uses socket headed cap screws, to improve clearance, I know this won’t help with removal, but is worth considering to ease re-fitting.

Hope this helps,

Richard Hawkins

Thanks Richard - that is a great tip. Everything is apart now so I have a chance to make little tweaks like that pretty easily now. Great stuff!

I’ve done this, and it does help. However, there are risks, the obvious one being super careful to avoid cross threading and stripping the thread in the head. The other is long term damage to the thread by repeated removal/replacement. Maybe consideration for thread insert on all the exhaust threads next time the cylinder head is off and stripped? Opinions welcome.
Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:28 am

I've always changed to cap screws, but you must get the thread inserts fitted so best to do it when heads off.
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: