Sprint Cylinder Head Overhaul Help

PostPost by: silverlink » Fri May 22, 2020 11:20 am

Does anyone know of a good workshop that can overhaul my Sprint Cylinder Head? I want to get it converted to run on unleaded fuel and fully checked over.
As I live in the North East of England it would be good if there was someone in this area that could do it. The head means a lot to me as I had it modified in the mid 1970's by 'Ian Walker Racing' (polished & ported and uprated cams)
Hope someone can help.
Cheers
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Fri May 22, 2020 11:52 am

Lotus TC heads always were fitted with alloy steel valve seats, unlike the majority of British cars of that era which had the seats cut directly into cast iron.

So whatever other work you might need, the existing seats should be good.

:)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Fri May 22, 2020 6:53 pm

Ian,

I live in Lincolnshire, and after much research and time spent visiting potential suppliers I went to Coventry Boring and Metalling. This was a mistake, they damaged my head. The company I bought valves from (I can’t remember the name) suggested Serdi UK whilst they are in Uxbridge, near Heathrow, I was pleased with the work, and travelling to Uxbridge was much less hassle that recovering money from Coventry Boring and Metalling.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ROADRUNNER » Fri May 22, 2020 10:28 pm

Brian Randell at B & E Randell in Diss, Norfolk, was recommended to me by Sue Miller, amd did a fantastic job on my S3 SE head. Highly recommended
ROADRUNNER
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Billelan » Fri May 22, 2020 11:03 pm

I contacted QED for a recommendation for cylinder head work a couple of years ago. They suggested AMAC Engineering at Northallerton. Haven't used them myself yet but intend to do shortly. They seem knowledgeable on the phone so may be worth giving them a call.
Billelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Fri May 22, 2020 11:08 pm

I have a few very good machine shops near me who have rebored blocks, reground cranks, fitted valve seats and guides etc. to my TC heads, but when none of them were eager to replace a set of worn cam follower sleeves, I sent the head to Phil Price, Connaught Engines in Kent, who did an excellent job, at a very reasonable price.

:)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Sat May 23, 2020 6:49 am

Many thanks for all your advice guys,
I think I'll get in touch with AMAC in Northallerton as they're the closest to where I live.
Cheers
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:30 pm

Hi all,
Just to let you know I'll be taking my engine over to AMAC at Northallerton on Saturday for a complete engine rebuild. The engine has been stored at the back of my garage off the floor on a bench since the late 1980's!
I did coat the camshafts & bores with Castrol grease before wrapping up in a big plastic bag and blankets and yesterday with the help of my wife and son-in-law we managed to move it onto a dolly I made for moving my show model railway layout.
I'll report back with what they find when it is stripped down, the bore's don't look as though there is much wear so I hope it will be honing and new rings only that is needed. The crank is still standard.
Sprint Engine A.jpg and

Sprint Engine C.jpg and

Thanks
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: