Engine rebuild?

PostPost by: Mrozik » Tue May 19, 2020 2:48 pm

HELP

After 15 years in storage I've started restoring my 1968 Elan+2 and its keeping me pretty busy during the Covid 19 lockdown!
After all this time, I'm wondering what I should do before re-installing the engine? 15 years ago it ran OK but nothing has been done to the engine for probably 25 years.
Be great to get some advice.

Thanks
John
Mrozik
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Tue May 19, 2020 4:57 pm

I'm sure I'll not be the only one to say this but whilst it's out I would reccomend replacing all the gaskets at the very least. While the sump is off, check the mains and big ends and if there is no evidence of scoring and the crank is within limits, replace the shells with new ones of the same size. The crankshaft thrust bearings will inevitably be worn so replace those anyway. With the head off, check the bore wear. Any signs of rust in the bores, have them honed then check the measurements again. With the head on the bench, check and adjust the valve clearances. A new clutch should be fitted, cover, plate and release bearing, especially since the old one has been sat around for so long. You really don't want to have to take the engine out of a newly restored car in a year's time for something you could have sorted now!
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mrozik » Tue May 19, 2020 5:02 pm

Many thanks.

New clutch et al already ready.....

Cheers
John
Mrozik
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed May 20, 2020 6:58 am

Whatever else you decide to do I would suggest you replace the water pump .. even if the bearing feels OK the seal is highly likely to fail after a long lay-up with the engine dry. Also don't forget to check the oil pump ... ideally strip it completely and check the pressure relief valve is moving freely and not corroded. Lack of or excessive oil pressure due to a sticking valve can be disasterous !
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed May 20, 2020 7:08 am

Mrozik wrote:Many thanks.

New clutch et al already ready.....

Cheers
John

I would suggest you get the Flywheel lightly surfaced even if it looks good. Renew Spigot needle bearing in end of Crankshaft also.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mrozik » Wed May 20, 2020 4:05 pm

Many thanks to all
John
Mrozik
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Thu May 21, 2020 1:06 am

The seal in the tailshaft of the gearbox is another bit likely to be a problem after years of sitting - replace before putting back in to prevent gearbox leaks around the propshaft yoke.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: