Odd Crank Size

PostPost by: literarymadness » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:32 am

I bought a barely used EN19 crank that was supposed to be used for a Twin Cam build for an Elan that never got finished. I am having my Twin Cam rebuilt. I was told that the crank was 72.75 mm. I had it sent to the builder and after he tried to install it...and there were some fit issues, he measured it; the crank turned out to be 76.3 mm. Has anyone ever heard of a crank that size and if so what would be the purpose of stroking the engine to 1650cc rather than just going up to the more common number of 1700cc (77.6 mm crank)?

Wesley
literarymadness
New-tral

PostPost by: promotor » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:37 am

A picture may help identify it just in case it's obvious (hopefully) to someone that it isn't actually a Twincam one.
promotor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:54 am

any chance it could be off a Nissan / Datsun (L20B) ?
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: literarymadness » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:11 am

It has already been to the machine shop and and back and is now in the engine. Steve over at Twin Cam Racing in Sarasota, Fl has just about finished doing the build. The crank belonged to Dave Bean. He was going to use it in a build he never got to finish. Nobody knows where Dave got it from. Maybe he custom ordered it. Ken over at Dave Bean says that Dave was always experimenting with things like that. I'll see if Steve took and pictures of it before he put it back in the second time.

Wesley
literarymadness
New-tral

Total Online: