Water pump impeller design & pumping efficiency

PostPost by: JJDraper » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:22 pm

Prosit neujahr.

Well the picture was from 62/63ish - did they have ceramic washers then? This is why I asked if anyone had a better cross section drawing - the one in my post was the only one I could find - pretty sketchy. The 'rusty' impeller from my pump had done well over 100k miles, & hasn't been cleaned, so don't be hard on it! The rust only showed up after sitting around for a few weeks - it is sound & very well made, much better than the dodgy Burton casting with curved impellers in the original post I found. There is detailing for the inlet/throat to the vanes and a progressive opening on mine that was absent from the Burton one.

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:15 pm

The original pumps did not have the ceramic washer on the front of the impeller for the carbon seal to run on. The carbon seal face ran directly on the front of the cast iron impeller which needed to be polished. This is one of the reasons for premature failure if the engine was not used as corrosion would build up on the polished cast iron face and make it rough which would then wear out the carbon.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:33 am

Hi
Seems there are some rubbish impellers around. I recently bought a water pump overhaul kit. When I came to fit it I noticed the one of the faces of the boss had a poor surface with what looked like dents or imperfections in the casting. This made me look more carefully and it was clear that the hole was not in the centre of the casting. Sent photos to the supplier who said they had been through their stock and they were all the same and offered a refund. So I ordered a kit from a different ( very mainstream) supplier and when their kit turned up it was obviously made in the same place as the first - poor surface finish and off centre hole. Having spent money on balancing the engine I didnt want to bolt a little 'vibrator' to the front of it ! I ended up re-using my old impeller together with the other new items from the kit.
Attachments
DSCN2655.JPG and
DSCN2662.JPG and
DSCN2663.JPG and
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: