Cold Starting Dellortos on my +2

PostPost by: Bozzie » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:31 pm

I know it's been discussed previously but most of the topics end up going off in other directions or get too technical for me! I have always struggled to start my +2 from cold (when not been run for a week or two!). I have to crank and crank and try various permutations of the throttle and or choke and I get her going but not always within a full battery charge, though usually, it is. Even if it has been an hour or two since she ran it can still be troublesome. As soon as it starts, she idles sweetly. I just need help in getting the correct procedure in place. If anyone in my area (Lytham St Annes) and can come and help me that would be great!
Bozzie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:59 am

Hi Bozzie,

I can only comment on my own Plus 2 with Dellortos which I should add has wasted spark ignition and an electric fuel pump. It will start first time even if left for months and this is what I do.

No choke required (i've disconnected mine)
turn on ignition and, if you have an electric pump, leave for a few seconds to fill the float chambers
5 rapid pumps of the pedal and then turn the key (no throttle input). Should fire first time
'Nurse' for a few seconds on light throttle then let her warm up

If you don't have an electric pump I can recommend one - the float chambers evaporate after a short while and a mechanical pump can take a bit of cranking to fill them.

Warm and hot start are a different matter. Hot start (say up to 15 minutes after swithcing off) - pedal to the floor and turn the key. Warm start - part throttle and turn the key

Works for me everytime but, as said I have a few mods you may not have.

What plugs do you have - NGK 6BPRES seem to keep clean best?
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:13 am

That's interesting.

My car (with Dellortos) needs no throttle and full choke to start from cold. It does this more or less reliably after the mechanical pump has filled the float bowls (electric pump is on the list!). I'd read advice previously that I should pump the throttle three times and start without choke, but this lead to flooding every time.

Hot starts just need a bit of throttle.

YMMV..
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 10kph » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:54 pm

Hi,
Fit an electric pump in the boot and leave the mechanical one in situ on the engine. i use this setup on a number of classic vehicles and all work fine.
I use the electric to prime the carbs and once running turn it off. If your electric pump fails at any time your mechanical never fails.
The electric pump pushes petrol through the mechanical valves so why remove it. Guaranteed to be a first starter every time.
i also use the setup on a v6 gilbern but with a carb return pipe to the tank. when hot they can suffer from fuel vapourzation and difficult starting. The remedy is to turn the electric pump on for a while and it starts first time.
With the Lotus , forget about the choke and just pump a few times.
ps. I live about 40 miles from you
Tony
10kph
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: PhilatHooton » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:55 pm

One of the best mods you can do is put a serious (60 amp +) battery in the boot.I have a standard starter having tried and ditched a torque variant. My choke is disconnected. Mechanical fuel pump. Lumenition. I floor/pump the throttle 4 or 5 times. Ignition on and as soon as she fires give her some throttle. Starts 1st or 2nd time even if left for months. When hot skip the pumping. That's the way its been for 36 years :-) . +2s130 / DHLA 40's
PhilatHooton
New-tral

PostPost by: Bozzie » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:01 am

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions everyone and maybe the electric pump it the way to go!
Bozzie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: HJF » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:03 am

Our Sprint, in Lytham, is currently starting with hardly any throttle and no choke. When not used for a while it takes a few moments to fill the carbs from the mechanical pump then fine. Idles okay having set the idle mixture and balance a few weeks ago.
HJF
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: