Plus 2 heater hose routing

PostPost by: The Veg » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:18 pm

Since my heater has been out for a few years, I've forgotten how the hose from the heater to the water pump was routed. I can see multiple possibilities for getting around the fuel pump and engine mount and such, but what's the consensus of experience for the best way to go?
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:08 pm

Veg.

Ive taken mine off and yet to fit the new hoses. The route mine were was,

From looking at the matrix from front, the top connector had the 90? joint going onto it. That then follows the bulkhead under a lip and thus behind the head, heading to and connecting to the stat housing inlet mounting.

That leaves the other length of pipe connecting to the lower matrix input, which then goes under the carbs to the pump.

Hope it helps you
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:02 am

Photo below is through the inspection hole in the tunnel by the clutch pedal showing the top heater pipe heading behind the engine and round to the thermostat housing. The lower pipe passes over the engine mount and forward to the water pump connection. My fuel pump is blanked off as I have an electric one so not sure if the best route is over or under the pump. I?m sure someone else will be able to assist on this.
Attachments
37fdd6a3-8779-4ba3-977f-30b8c3d7fd48.jpeg and
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:24 am

Mine runs above engine mount and fuel pump blanking cover. Pretty much a straight run, see picture. Not sure how much s fuel pump would effect the routing.

Only tricky part is the 1/2" fitting in the engine end with a 5/8" on the heater end. I added a small length of 1/2" inner, 5/8" outer pipe on the engine end, which standard 5/8" heater hose fits nicely over.
Attachments
20190101_182352.jpg and
Heater return hose.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:38 am

Thanks guys. A bit of fettling and trying different things made the choices easier to understand.As my car still has the mechanical fuel pump, what seemed to work best was to run the hose between the pump and the side wall of the compartment, then back in and onto the barb at the pump. Above the engine mount meant below the pump and that was a bit tight. Over the pump meant close in next to the block and also running with the ignition leads.

As for the mismatched size, I installed the 5/8" barb fitting from Lotus Marques so no problems.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:44 am

The only leak I got on refilling the system was from that barb connection. Not 100% confident in it even now so may change it out for a 5/8 one at some stage.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: