Radiator fan

PostPost by: Craftycrofty » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:50 pm

Hi Elan people

I've got a Plus 2 and the (original) radiator fan is, I think, on its way out

The car got really hot in traffic and I found the fuse had blown. I replaced the fuse and it's working again but I strongly suspect the fan is seizing or something; the fan seems quite stiff to turn by hand.

It's a standard car, with the Stanpart rad (recored some time ago)

I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade the fan and want to find my options.

Looking through the archives I found reference to a Cliveyboy kit. Is he still selling these?

Matty's sell a basic modern fan for about ?45 but I don't think it comes with fittings and SJ Sports Cars don't list anything

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW I was on the forums ages ago - I joined 18 years years ago right when it all started - but haven't been here for a very long time. Still toddling around South London in the same car...

Thanks in advance

David
Craftycrofty
New-tral

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:22 pm

David,

I spoke to Clive Boy about a couple of months ago, he told me he no longer sells parts for Lotus.

I had my radiator re-cored by Cool Experts in Nottingham, who also supplied fans.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:45 pm

Fans and switches are readily available from several sources on eBay for half the price of the usual suspects.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:37 pm

Cliveyboy was just repackaging the Revotec fan kits, they are still readily available (don't forget the rads in a Lotus were slightly tweaked Triumph units so http://www.rimmerbros.com is a safe bet).

That said, just get a cheap slim line fan like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-25cm-Univ ... =R40&rt=nc it even comes with the zip tie type mounts.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:08 am

On the +2 the fan was only mechanical fitted to water pump pulley metal 2 blade.
On the +2S it was changed to electric fan.
Is your car a +2 or +2S :?:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tonyr27 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:59 am

Buy a quality fan with a good flow rate. We bought three from a supplier who supplies to the Lotus Community and they were hopeless on every car we fitted them to even after trying various modifications.

TonyR
1966 S3 FHC Medici Blue
tonyr27
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:24 am

Stiff motors usually just need some thin oil in the bearings.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:56 am

alan.barker wrote:On the +2 the fan was only mechanical fitted to water pump pulley metal 2 blade.
Alan

Not true

many non S +2s have the small radiator and electric fan

Probably the changeover occurred with the 'Federal' body
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:02 pm

I reckon that if the system was otherwise coping with the recent warm weather that a quick squirt with the oil can or spray lubricant is the first option.
Also the quickest and cheapest solution if it does the trick!
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:05 am

gus wrote:
alan.barker wrote:On the +2 the fan was only mechanical fitted to water pump pulley metal 2 blade.
Alan

Not true

Looks like you're right about federal. I have had only UK cars, 1968 +2, 1970 +2S, 1973 +2S130/4.
There's always things to learn about Lotus Elans even after 40 years of tinkering on them :wink:
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craftycrofty » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:19 am

Thanks, Team

Right. Squirt with lube of some sort first. Then Zip-tie an off the shelf fan if it doesn't work.

Cheers

D
Craftycrofty
New-tral

PostPost by: fireblade » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:46 pm

Hi David

The original fan in my 69 lotus Elan SE has recently given up after nearly 50 years. It kept popping fuses so I decided to take it apart and found the brushes had pretty well disintegrated and the mica board on which they were mounted was burnt. So I have replaced the motor with a new Smiths unit purchased from Ebay......not cheap and fiddly to fit but it has solved my problem and appears much more efficient than the old original Smiths unit. I understand the original motor was commonly used in car heater units such as fitted to the original Mini.
If your priority is to keep your Lotus as close to the original this might be your answer.

Roger.
fireblade
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:53 am

alan.barker wrote:
gus wrote:
Alan

Not true

Looks like you're right about federal. I have had only UK cars, 1968 +2, 1970 +2S, 1973 +2S130/4.
There's always things to learn about Lotus Elans even after 40 years of tinkering on them :wink:
Alan

My federal non-S has both fans.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:35 am

I know of several owners that have both, sort of belt and braces. Why not.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:00 am

When I got my 1971 sprint second hand in 1982 it didn't have an electric fan but did have the remains of a screw in thermal switch in the rad.
It had a two blade mechanical fan which I removed and replaced with a multi blade fan from a Triumph Spitfire.
This fan has a deep dish on the boss matching the water pump pulley diameter and a rectangular bolt arrangement with a diagonal matching one pair of bolts on the pulley.
So i left a pair of bolts holding the pulley and the others to hold the fan which operates within the pulley depth.
It was very effective and without either foam above the rad or shield under it I never had any cooling issues.
Without the internet I didn't know they were missing!
More recently after a rebuild I've added a blower electric fan on the radiator with a fairly low cut in temperature. It operates in heavy traffic and occasionally when parking up after a fast run.
dsc_0018_17.jpg and
Spitfire Fan
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: