Replacing hoses, plus 2

PostPost by: pauljones » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:40 pm

Now the rain has halted for a minute or two i thought id replace my hoses.
Seems like the best way forward would be to remove the radiator for bottom right.
Remove the complete induction system for the heater hoses.
Ill also be changing the thermostat so top left at same time.

Ive been reading that the heater hoses are a bit of a pain with engine in, unlucky for me as im not taking it out for hoses.

So any other tips from the coal face?

The other option i have is to fit my recon heater at same time but ill see how the hoses go.

Tips or words of wisdom appreciated.

Paul
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:26 pm

The radiator hoses can be done in situ without too much problem although getting the old ones off can be a struggle if they have bonded themselves to the metal parts, but as you are replacing them you can just slit them with a knife. Make sure you have the preformed heater hose from the thermostat housing as it?s much easier to fit with it?s preformed bend. Check the new radiator bottom hose is not rubbing on the steering column. New hose clips are worth it while you are doing it though not essential. Hopefully whoever fitted your hoses last time did it with the engine in so that the screw heads on the pipe clips are pointing in a suitable direction! If the old water / antifreeze looks grotty it might be worth flushing the system while you are doing this, especially if the heater is not giving out much heat.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:36 pm

Forgot to mention that the heater is almost the first thing fitted in the car interior so getting it out involves major work removing the dashboard and lots of bits to get to it and it?s securing bolts. Luckily I had my interior completely stripped out so could get easy access to the heater. Mine was bunged up with all sorts of stuff, bits of muck looking like maltesers came out of my heater when I backflushed it, initially even with a hosepipe on the inlet to the heater, very little water would pass through it, but after a thorough flush , it would easily flow full bore. If you want any photos, let me know as my dashboard will be going back in the car soon and will hide the heater.
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:56 pm

When I did it (with engine out) I was very careful to not apply pressure the heater matrix fittings as not unknown for them to fail and fall off. Which then involves a big job to get the heater out from the car.

I think I removed the clips and slit mine then pealed them off. On refitting I used silicon grease so they slide on easily (after cleaning the fittings.)

I think I'd attempt this with engine in if i thought it was necessary. I'd remove all the airbox and carbs from the car to get best access.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:59 pm

Thanks for the info.
My heaters not really doing much apart from acting as a weight penalty. I get hotter air from the exhaust..!! I have a recon one from our good friend John, as my dash isnt really secured very well its an option to replace it. Maybe. If you could post pictures that would be great.
I was having another good look today and im 100% going to take of the induction side to give me more room.
I will go to my local chandelry and get Stainless fittings to secure the hoses too.
What do you mean by the performed heater hose? Mine came as a set of 4 from Sue so im guessing i have what you mean.
Thats a lovely looking dash by the way.

Paul
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:14 am

Will send some photos later today. By pre-formed I mean with a 90 degree bend already formed in the pipe rather than just straight pipe. This helps the pipe go behind the engine and turn the corner to connect to the heater. The pipe to the front of the engine is just a straight pipe.
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:31 am

BBB

I see what you mean. I have a length of straight and a length with a 90? bend of 45mm ish. I thought you were refering to something else.
Pics would be great tho just to help out. Ill be posting the work in my "enjoying my lotus" thread.

Thanks

Paul
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:49 am

Pics attached, hope they help. I tried to load them previously but they didn?t appear on the site so these may be a duplicate!
Attachments
379f2568-ab6a-44d2-9e00-b9dab91ff137.jpeg and
748537fc-d604-48d4-bdd3-0fc2b4c51d2e.jpeg and
898f7090-b6be-42ab-8cf5-61c01129d74b.jpeg and
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:09 am

BBB,

Thanks. Is that cutout on left of drivers knee something you done or is it a propper access hole? And does it make fitting the hoses easier?
Pics show just how much room that box takes up, surely theres a more compact solution out there now?
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:47 am

As far as I know that hole is standard, I can just get my hand through it, normally has a rubber bung in it. Yes the heater is huge for what it does!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:53 pm

I fitted these pipes with the carbs on but the air intake box front off and trunking off. Needed a friend to guide the pipes through while I put them on with my hand through that hole. I put the clips on the heater outlets ready to slide onto the pipe once in place, found that was easier than having them on the hose and trying to keep them there while feeding it in past all the various obstacles in the engine compartment.
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:46 pm

Bigbaldybloke wrote:As far as I know that hole is standard, I can just get my hand through it, normally has a rubber bung in it. Yes the heater is huge for what it does!

No, some one cut that hole there,unless LHD is markedly different from RHD

You really don't want spare holes in the firewall

I had for years just put a big loop in the heater hose to prevent a kink, but a right angle fitting is best
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:00 am

Pretty sure the hole is original factory work. I?ve had the car over 40 years and the previous owner did diddly squat to the car and he was the first owner. It?s exactly the same size as the other inspection hole and has the same bung in it. Mine is a very early plus 2 though, November 67. Maybe they changed it later?
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:40 am

Ive not managed to do it yet thanks to our Southern rain storms.
Ill have a look at mine when i can and confirm if i have a spy hole. If not, job still needs doing.
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:16 am

Bigbaldybloke wrote:Pretty sure the hole is original factory work. I?ve had the car over 40 years and the previous owner did diddly squat to the car and he was the first owner. It?s exactly the same size as the other inspection hole and has the same bung in it. Mine is a very early plus 2 though, November 67. Maybe they changed it later?

Hi, my car is Jan 1968 (RHD) and does not have that large cut out.

But maybe the earlier car did ??
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: