Jackshaft bearing compatibility

PostPost by: luigi8816 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:06 pm

Hello everybody,

I rebuild my +2 engine but i've got a problem.

My jackshaft bearing were not very good and i bought C3037S/STD on burton site to replace them.

The problem is the C3037S/STD bearing are to small to put on my block.

On my engine, i've got following:

My bearings are External diameter 43.40mm

Ref are : FORD 220172 105E 6262 B and 89 BM 6261 DA 220172

Do you know where can i find them ?

King regards.

From the Rainy France.

Guillaume
luigi8816
New-tral

PostPost by: Lotus14S2 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:34 pm

I don't know what the outside diameter of the jack shaft bearing should be, but the Burton bearing is a stock
Ford bearing used on the whole line of small Ford engines.
It sounds like your engine had the cam or jack shaft bearings aligned bored, for some reason, and the oversize bearings are no longer available; at least from Burton. You might contact them and see if anyone there knows of an oversize bearing. Oversize bearings would probably be available on .010" to .015" in diameter O/S.
The Burton photo shows a split bearing, if that is so, you might want to look for a full circle bearing. Check with a supplier of Formula Ford engine parts. I have a couple of Ford blocks, and they don't have a split bearing...for what its worth.
Regards
Tim
Lotus14S2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: luigi8816 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:29 pm

Lotus14S2 wrote:I don't know what the outside diameter of the jack shaft bearing should be, but the Burton bearing is a stock
Ford bearing used on the whole line of small Ford engines.
It sounds like your engine had the cam or jack shaft bearings aligned bored, for some reason, and the oversize bearings are no longer available; at least from Burton. You might contact them and see if anyone there knows of an oversize bearing. Oversize bearings would probably be available on .010" to .015" in diameter O/S.
The Burton photo shows a split bearing, if that is so, you might want to look for a full circle bearing. Check with a supplier of Formula Ford engine parts. I have a couple of Ford blocks, and they don't have a split bearing...for what its worth.
Regards
Tim

Thank you for your response Tim,

I contact Burton but they don't have them bearings.

Do you know in that original engine that bearing has been assembly ?

I've got this solution or to machine new bearings.

thanks
luigi8816
New-tral

PostPost by: 512BB » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:46 pm

Hopefully you did not destroy your old bearings taking them out. If you are finding it hard to get correct replacements, put your old bearings back in. It does not matter much if they are scored or are a little worn, its not critical on the jackshaft.

On a recent engine rebuild I carried out, I was surprised to find that after replacing the jackshaft bearings, the jackshaft did not fit and I had to have the bearings line bored.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:05 pm

did some Googling and it brought me to a thread on this forum from 2009:

Hi Andy

Just checked the Burton Power catalogue and I was correct in that cam bearings for the X-Flow and Pre X-Flow are available in two sizes, Std. C3037S/STD and +20 thou on OD FP620. I would suggest your block has been bored to take the larger OD.

This wouldn't be un-common and could even have been like it from new. Ford would occasionaly re bore bearing location diameters and fit oversize bearings as this would salvage an otherwise scrap engine block.

So Guillame I would say that you need + 020" outside diameter bearings for your block,

A+

John

lotus-gearbox-f37/slightly-different-jackshaft-bearing-issue-t19212.html

If you need anything translated just ask!
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: luigi8816 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:08 pm

Chancer wrote:did some Googling and it brought me to a thread on this forum from 2009:

Hi Andy

Just checked the Burton Power catalogue and I was correct in that cam bearings for the X-Flow and Pre X-Flow are available in two sizes, Std. C3037S/STD and +20 thou on OD FP620. I would suggest your block has been bored to take the larger OD.

This wouldn't be un-common and could even have been like it from new. Ford would occasionaly re bore bearing location diameters and fit oversize bearings as this would salvage an otherwise scrap engine block.

So Guillame I would say that you need + 020" outside diameter bearings for your block,

A+

John

lotus-gearbox-f37/slightly-different-jackshaft-bearing-issue-t19212.html

If you need anything translated just ask!

Dear john,

I ask burton and they don't have now bearing in +020", and i don't find it in other site.

I think i replace the old bearing...

Thank you very much.

Guillaume
luigi8816
New-tral

PostPost by: 512BB » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:38 am

You're welcome Guillaume !
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: