And the craziness goes on (oil)

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:05 pm

rgh0 wrote:With new rings you need to bed them in to seal the bores , With new cam and followers you need to avoid high revs or extended low rev idling for the first couple of hours of running so that the mating surfaces polish together without scuffing or galling. Use a running in oil during this process. Also use plenty of assembly lube on the cam and followers for the initial start up.

So about 60 minutes of full throttle acceleration runs from around 3000 to 5000 rpm in third will bed in the rings followed by another hour or two of just normal driving to finish polishing in the followers and cams and then you should be Ok to change to the oil of your choice and commence routine use
cheers
Rohan

nmauduit wrote:you can also add some ZDDP for the sake of the cams and buckets during the break in (also helps avoid overheating the valve train part with the "running in" oil)

Thanks chaps.
I thought running oil had lower ZDDP to promote bedding in. The redline product promotes itself as a "break-in" additive. What is the scenario behind adding more?

I shall probably get it running, give it a quick carb. balance then start the procedure.
Vince
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:13 am

"you can also add some ZDDP for the sake of the cams and buckets during the break in (also helps avoid overheating the valve train part with the "running in" oil)

https://www.redlineoil.com/engine-oil-break-in-additive"

While I am a big fan of Redline oils based on many years of high stress use in my competition car and many hundreds of thousands of km's of road use in may other Lotus and other road cars I am not a big fan of adding other manufactures additives to other companies oils. I prefer to buy the right oil for the job that has been designed for that job by lubrication engineers rather than try to mix my own based on marketing spin.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Agreed in whole.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am

vincereynard wrote:I thought running oil had lower ZDDP to promote bedding in. The redline product promotes itself as a "break-in" additive. What is the scenario behind adding more?

What I understand is that the "running in" oil will not be as slippery as regular oil so that the rings will bite and bed in within the cylinders, but at the same time the camshafts lobes/buckets may suffer from this lack of slipperiness (with pressure at the tip in addition to friction), which the ZDDP is supposed to counterbalance, also helping to reduce heat there during the breaking in...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: