Elan Sprint-Engine appears to sit very high *Bonnet*

PostPost by: bloodknock » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:23 pm

I know its hard to believe, but the vast majority of the parts i'm using are the originals removed from the car. In the case of the manifolds, they're original that have just been ceramic coated, I cant imagine that the ceramic added much to the diameter, so it must be a function of the chassis???? I recon that the actual interferrence is marginal, just touching, but as the engine runs and bucks under torque there would be a real clatter. So, somethings got to be done! I feel another strip down looming :x
I've got a deadline, at 73, I want to finish it before I die!
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:52 pm

Are the spacers between the engine mount and block on the exhaust side the right length :wink:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:45 pm

I too was concerned about engine height to the bonnet, when I was doing my Zetec conversion. I set the engine in the chassis, attached to the transmission, which was bolted in with the original mount, prior to making the new engine mounts. The engine was resting on a floor jack. I took a piece of wood and traced the outline of the outside of the bonnet at a point where the engine was going to be the highest. Then cut the wood at the outline mark. Resting on the body, the wood bridged the engine compartment and when placed over the engine high point, gave me a reference as to the engine location in relationship to the hood. When sufficient clearance was determined, the engine was then blocked in place and the new engine mounts constructed. It was a quick, easy way to make sure everything would clear. When I purchased my S2, the bonnet was touching the top of front Weber at its high point. Some trimming of the bonded in paper tube, and lowering the engine was required.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Ive just dismantled the exhaust side - removed the dynamo, engine mount and spacers clutch hydraulics and the manifold to try to get room to "adjust" the chassis near the manifold.
chassis-adjustment-manifold-clearance.jpg and

What length should the spacers be? mine are 1 and1/8 inches

engine-mount-spacer-ns-2.jpg and

Any help with the best way to remove the unwanted material (Engine in car) would be welcome
Regards
Bob
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:42 pm

Bob,
My spacers are also 1 and 1/8".
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC ( in the thick of fitting c/v shafts )
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:02 pm

Looks like you will need to make a tool to bent/tweak the Chassis flange. Not easy with Engine in place, that's why i cut filed the Chassis flange on my Sprint. Nice smooth curves.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:52 am

bloodknock wrote:Ive just dismantled the exhaust side - removed the dynamo, engine mount and spacers clutch hydraulics and the manifold to try to get room to "adjust" the chassis near the manifold.
Chassis adjustment manifold clearance.JPG

What length should the spacers be? mine are 1 and1/8 inches

Engine mount spacer NS 2.JPG

Any help with the best way to remove the unwanted material (Engine in car) would be welcome
Regards
Bob

The galvanised chassis have the same flange dimensions from what I have seen. But amybe the location of the engine mounts is off by a bit on your particualr chassis If you truly have an original header and its hits the chassis then its maybe a standard Lotus almost right fitment from new part :lol: . I find it hard to believe though that the headers are original given how they corroded especially with the higher sulfur levels in fuel back then.

iIs a bit late to bend the headers in tighter to the block as they are now ceramic coated. You need to adjust the chassis or perhaps try spacing the engine more to the carb side. I had to do that with my TTR headers to get clearance with the fibreglass footwell despite the chassis cut out being adequate.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:42 am

Imho they are not original exhaust manifolds.
On my Sprint (Lotus galvanised chassis) they are replacement stainless and you need to adjust.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:20 pm

I can confirm that Bob's manifolds are entirely original. I noticed them when he posted pictures and thought that they had lasted well, but if you consider that the car was taken off the road in the eighties and may well have done very little mileage and then been dry stored.

I have 2 sets hanging in my workshop, exactly the same shape, in that the profile is not completely round, and that is what was fitted to my Sprint coming up 40 years ago. If you look carefully at the pictures, you will see what I mean.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:48 pm

Bob
You may get two birds with one stone if you file out the carb side engine mounting and rock the manifold away from chassis.
Putting mounts on the front side of the brackets might help a little bit, and finally maybe a washer or two to lengthen the spacers as Rohan suggested might be needed. Indeed this last might well do it alone and might satisfy your originality inclinations.
With a bit of luck you should avoid pulling the engine out and bashing the chassis.
I put NOS mild steel headers into a galvanised chassis this year and they didn't touch, so I got lucky I guess.
Having said that the originals in a standard chassis never fouled either.
You don't need a lot of clearance not touching is not touching!
Mark
Last edited by MarkDa on Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:50 pm

I've just looked at the photo again and see what you mean. They have like a ridge around the bends just like the original manifolds i have hanging on my garage wall.
I must admit the original manifolds when they were on my Sprint were very close to the Chassis :o
The mounts should be fitted to the front of the Chassis Lugs
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:30 pm

I had fitting issues with the upgraded motor mounts as well.

I slotted the two bolt holes in the mounts that attach to the chassis until I had the desired clearance.

Regards,
Dan
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:42 pm

Bob
I see that your mounts are in front of lugs so that really only leaves pushing the engine across a few mm to get the room you need.
Mark
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:56 pm

Mark
I dont understand "mounts in front of lugs" Its probably me being thick.
Blood sweat & tears, well blood anyway! Whole day relieving the chassis next to the downpipe area using a hacksaw blade drill and files. The hacksaw blade making as much impression on my hand as it did on the chassis metal.
I've removed approx 15mm of material over the area of the down pipes see photos. Re assembly tomorrow.
Regards
Bob
Attachments
chassis-relief-for-down-pipe-clearance-2.jpg and
portion-of-chassis-removed-for-downpipe-relief.jpg and
chassis-relief-for-down-pipe-clearance.jpg and
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi Bob
The engine mounts can bolt to the chassis either side of the brackets.
Alan has confirmed that mount on radiator side of bracket is correct as you seem to have them anyway.
No pain, no gain as they say!
Mark
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: