Correcting Oil Leaks

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:16 pm

It's easier for the piping if it's from the front. If you go from the top you'll be hitting the bonnet.
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:19 pm

Of course. I read your initial post incorrectly! "front center of the cam cover"

I had a bit of brain fade and thought you meant centre of the water pump housing!

One little victory is that the neoprene gasket I cut seems to be oil tight. I also slipped small O rings around each stud under the plain washers. Works a treat so far!

Where would I source a suitable fitting for a vent? I assume it would need to be quite small so brass plumbing fittings would be out.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:42 pm

I think you have enough to do, I believe the original vent is perfectly adequate and can`t imagine the internal pressure is any different front to back. Your woes seem to stem from things not being kept simple.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:55 am

jimj wrote:I think you have enough to do, I believe the original vent is perfectly adequate and can`t imagine the internal pressure is any different front to back. Your woes seem to stem from things not being kept simple.
Jim

You are probably right Jim. Get it running properly before any "improvements".

Although I have to wonder whether certain clowns being simple may be the real reason for the problems.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi Vince

Just a thought, you haven't got crankcase compression caused by poor rings or bores have you ? :(
This can cause leaks that will never be tamed.
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:09 am

Hawksfield wrote:Hi Vince

Just a thought, you haven't got crankcase compression caused by poor rings or bores have you ? :(
This can cause leaks that will never be tamed.

I'll find out soon enough! :wink: Although it doesn't smoke or show signs crankcase pressure so that, at least, should be OK.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:57 pm

I have castigated Spyders work standard upon occasion so it's only right to be fair.

I've now managed to prise the "burton" pump cover off and it does have a gap in the machined O ring groove. I believe that this was mentioned by 1 poster.

Maybe they had a problem getting a ring the correct size? Who knows? The current burton catalogue seems to show a ring.

p1050081.jpg and

So there you go, I shall have to remove a spider from the wall chart.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: