Heater valve sealing

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:53 pm

I've had problems sealing the heater valve where it screws into the thermostat housing in the past. Tried PTFE and Wellseal with limited success. It doesn't help that it must finish screwing in so that the outlet points towards the engine bay baulkhead.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:36 pm

One of the new generation anaerobic Loctite plumbing and pipe thread sealants, I dont know the Loctite reference because I use a generic one but it is superb and works 100% every time.

I always had problems with the eccentric threaded adaptors used behind shower mixer taps, the same story you have to stop before they are fully tightened, old school was horse hair and Boss White (think its called that in English) but any nipping up of the joint or future removal/replacement of the mixer tap on the adaptors would always spring a leak which would be hidden behind the tiles and rot out the partition and plasterboard.

Come to think of it every one I did in the old days would leak to some extent, since using the Loctite equivalent no leaks at all and the joint remains solid.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: