Exhaust fumes

PostPost by: p.faurie » Fri May 20, 2016 3:10 pm

Good afternoon guys, I hope someone can help with a problem I'm having on a 72 +2,I'm getting excessive exhaust fumes into the boot/trunk so much so that any thing in the boot smells of h c .things I've done/checked are as follows
Replaced boot seal,adjusted spring for latch, put talc powder on seal top to check if it's touching boot lid.
Replaced rear lamp gaskets
Sealed bumper bolts,boot board hardware
Checked exhaust for leaks and boot floor
The only thing I'm not sure about is that i've had problems with the exhaust in the past in as much that I've had a few +2 in the past and collected many parts inc a couple of stainless steel exhaust systems,I think I had a 5speed y piece or I fitted it upside down or something because the system would not run straight down the chassis,I sorted that out with another one,I had 2 centre pipes when laid on top of each other I was approx 2inches longer, so I fitted the rear box on to its original mountings and modified one to fit(cut it),the thing that may be wrong is the tailpipe sticks out about 2inches past the rear bumper,looking at pics of others this seems normal,could I cut shorter? Or am I barking up the wrong tree,the engine runs well but I havn't had it on a emission analyzer but don't think the fumes should get in no matter what,any ideas guys
p.faurie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun May 22, 2016 11:56 am

Normally having the exhaust end about 2 inches past the bumper is good to stop exhaust fumes getting sucked into the boot. You seem to have covered all the obvious sources of problems.

Cant really suggest anything extra

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Sun May 22, 2016 12:34 pm

This is a very common problem. Rohan's suggestion is good. I recall a friend taking this approach with success. His extension was longer than two inches back from the bumper but he didn't do much experimentation to achieve the optimum dimension.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Sun May 22, 2016 4:55 pm

the smallest holes /cracks can allow fumes in. Has your boot floor any signs of fibreglass repair? worth checking
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: p.faurie » Sun May 22, 2016 9:55 pm

Thanks chaps for your replys, I will try the exhaust extension and report my findings
Regards phil
p.faurie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Mon May 23, 2016 8:05 am

When purchased back in 87 as an unfinished project, my +2 came with a new Chris Neil stainles exhaust system, when I finally got round to fitting it, the intermediate pipe was short which meant the tail pipe stopped level with the bumper & I had the same problem of exhaust fumes in the car. I replaced the intermediate pipe with the correct length & the tail pipe is now just under 2 inches past the bumper & no more problems, so I wouldn't shorten yours. The only other thing I can think of, is has someone drilled/cut a hole behind the number plate to gain access to the boot latch after a broken cable ? Not uncommon, even tells you how to do it in the w/s manual :)
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: