machine shop / engine builder recommendation?

PostPost by: nmauduit » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:35 pm

Hello all,

I'm looking into getting a fresh 711M bottom engine for my road car, somewhat improved but not all steel racing bottom that I would mate to a ported head I'd like to try out. My goal is a reasonable communication (considerations of the desired specs esp. decking related to targeted compression ratio, use of my forged pistons with intruder machining if need be, fit steel caps for 7000rpm on occasional track days, ...), sensible cost/quality ratio (this is only a road car yet careful balancing and gap settings would help longevity), reliability (e.g. not seeing price jacking up as soon as I'm trapped by a deposit and parts immobilized, with little direct feedback as this will be shipped abroad) ... any recommendation in the UK that would fit the bill ? please PM if you'd rather not voice your say publicly.

thank you for any tip or advice !
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:00 pm

Whilst others on here have expressed opposite views, I have had good experiences (and friends have) with Paul Exon who produces good work at a reasonable price.

Communication can be poor however so you have to keep on at him as he is usually flat out building race engines. He is very experienced with TC's being ex QED.

It's best to use him in the summer months as over winter he gets very busy building engines for the new season.

Google: Exon Race Engines

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orangerover » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:52 pm

[quote][/quote][quote="jono"]Whilst others on here have expressed opposite views, I have had good experiences (and friends have) with Paul Exon who produces good work at a reasonable price.

Communication can be poor however so you have to keep on at him as he is usually flat out building race engines. He is very experienced with TC's being ex QED.

It's best to use him in the summer months as over winter he gets very busy building engines for the new season.

That's about spot on Jon.
Waited a while for mine but sounds very sweet on start up , with a dyno sheet showing 126.4 Bhp from a standard build .
Orangerover
New-tral

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:43 pm

I have used Serdi UK, the contact is John Dorma. They are located in West London near Heathrow, I think in West Drayton.

My car is far from complete so I cannot say they are good for certain, but the quality appears good.

More to the point Serdi UK is some kind of offshoot of a French company. John maybe willing to advise somewhere in France.

I can't find contact details for Serdi as I am on holiday with a poor inter web connection.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri May 26, 2017 12:39 am

Orangerover wrote:
jono wrote:Whilst others on here have expressed opposite views, I have had good experiences (and friends have) with Paul Exon who produces good work at a reasonable price.

Waited a while for mine but sounds very sweet on start up , with a dyno sheet showing 126.4 Bhp from a standard build .

I had a couple of engine builds by Paul, he's a good guy and his machining work is excellent, but he can't cut valve seats. He also does the race builder thing and bores blocks to whatever pistons are available, he doesn't ask. Nick Stagg gets all my work now, he's a true professional.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orangerover » Fri May 26, 2017 6:55 am

I had my sprint engine rebuilt by paul exon and while I did have communication problems ,I was never told lies and the end result was worth the wait .
Orangerover
New-tral

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Mazzini wrote:
Orangerover wrote:
jono wrote:Whilst others on here have expressed opposite views, I have had good experiences (and friends have) with Paul Exon who produces good work at a reasonable price.

I had a couple of engine builds by Paul, he's a good guy and his machining work is excellent, but he can't cut valve seats. He also does the race builder thing and bores blocks to whatever pistons are available, he doesn't ask. Nick Stagg gets all my work now, he's a true professional.

Just pulled the engine out of my S3 to figure out why oil was coming out of number 3 exhaust port and the valve guide is leaking. There is an issue with number 4 exhaust guide as well. The engine has probably done less than 4,000 miles since Paul replaced them.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:55 am

My understanding is that Nick gave up bottom end work and got shut of his kit. I believe he only does head work now.
Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: