aluminium flywheel/ lighter flywheel

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:31 pm

Just wondering if any one has experience fitting lighter flywheel to an otherwise standard engine.
I am aware of the potential negatives associated with this like a lumpy idle. I will soon start rebuilding a late Stromberg engine with fast road piper cams and just wondering if I should stay with the original flywheel. my aim is to create a very nice fully balanced road engine and I wondered what the experiences are of engines fitted with one of these on a road car.
robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldchieft » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:36 pm

I you go with a light flywheel you had better have a dam good rev limiter.

Jon the Chief
oldchieft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:50 am

I put my lightweight Fidanza flywheel in over a decade ago. No "lumpy idle." Still runs great.

http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/lotus-twincam-f39/flywheel-weight-t1181.html

Gary
Sprint FHC
Miami, Florida
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:46 am

I had the flywheel lightened on my SE Stromberg car during an engine rebuild about 20yrs ago and did notice slightly better low gear acceleration afterwards, but how much of that was down to the flywheel and how much to the rebore etc I never did work out. Downsides like lumpy idle didn't really get worse but that's probably because it's always had a lumpy idle and continues to do so. Details like how much was taken off and how are lost in the mists of time - sorry.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Harvey » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:27 pm

Robin,

Like Gary, I fit a new Fidanza aluminum flywheel to my '71 +2 several years ago and have not had any idling problem. Car is very tractable off the line. Bought mine from Dave Bean Engineering. Talk to Ken.

Lee
Jackson, CA
Harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:32 pm

thanks for all the replies and it seems to be no problem to fit a lighter flywheel which is great.
I do not have a flywheel for the car and because I will have some fast road cams in the engine I thought I might want to have a little quicker response to my right foot :D :D I saw that joe of chequered racing has some alloy flywheels on ebay at 595 US. I also contacted QED and they seem a little cheaper but do not know if they are suitable for a road car, I am waiting to hear back from them. I will also contact Dave Bean as suggested.
Am I right that Fidanza does not make an alloy ffywheel anymore for the twinc??
cheers robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:30 am

I have a Chequered Flag alloy flywheel waiting for my next engine, a very nice piece of machining.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:21 pm

I was wondering on what flywheels were available and found this.
http://www.prostreetonline.com/a/lotus_fidanza-aluminum-flywheel.asp
Apparently the Fidenza is still available but have no idea how it stacks up to the others. I have used a Fidenza on 2 other non-Lotus cars in the past and was extremely happy with them.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:44 pm

thanks Russ for your find. last night I did some googling and found the same site. Interesting because the Fidanza is about half the price of the one offered by Joe from Chequered flag racing, but maybe the old saying "you get what you pay for" applies here as well???
Anyway I emailed Joe to find out a few more details about the flywheel and I did ask as well about the price difference :mrgreen: with regards to the Fidanza flywheel.
Maybe for very highly tuned engines you would go for the flywheel offered by Joe and for the likes like myself who are just looking for a nice upgrade for an otherwise standard engine would go for the like like Fidanza??
Thanks again for all the feedback which has been very helpful.
cheers robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:46 pm

Maybe call these guys as to availability. I believe the Fidanza model for the Elan is "fz-122751."
http://www.importperformance.com/store/fz-122751

I don't believe Fidanza makes them any more, but maybe these guys still have some old stock. You can check eBay periodically too.

Gary
'71 Sprint FHC
Miami, Florida
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:14 am

just noticed they list a different part number for the Europa and the elan Fidanza flywheel. anyone knows the difference?? I run a late Stromberg Europa engine in my plus two so any feedback appreciated.
otherwise I give the guys a call and see if they know the difference.
I thought the only difference was the cut out in the cam cover to run the alternator???
Also just to make sure does this flywheel take the original pressure plate, clutch and ring gear?
cheers robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:34 am

I would guess the difference is the Europa flywheel timing marks on the rim

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:24 pm

Just a quick update on this discussion:
I have just ordered a Fidanza alloy flywheel for my engine. I have spent quite a long time searching for a lighter flywheel and read that Fidanza no longer list these for the Elan, however, I phoned Fidanza and they said "Oh, we have five of those on the shelf"! I asked if they had one with 12 bolt holes and they did! The price is a very reasonable $365 (Well, reasonable until you convert it to Canadian dollars...) Fidanza do not sell direct so I ordered mine through one of their agents Sector 111 who deal in Exige and Elise parts. Stacy there was very pleasant to deal with.
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:03 pm

Another update: While searching for a flywheel for my Elan I contacted LMPerformance who sell flywheels-they said they would get back to me and just did-this is a heck of a deal_better than I was able to get:
http://www.lmperformance.com/734586/122 ... wheel.html
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:30 pm

I believe there are plusses and minuses to the light flywheel debate. The differential ratio, along with transmission gearing and rear tire diameter, can play a big part. In the case of my S2, a light flywheel with any of the three normally available differential ratios would be acceptable. However, the weight of the car can make a huge difference in low speed driving. A portly driver can also have an impact.

For example, my Ford 204E engined Sabra GT, has a very heavy flywheel, and it goes quite well with the ZF transmission (same ratios as the close ratio 2000E) and a 3.55 diff with 165-15 rear tires. A light flywheel would make it quite difficult to make a start from an up hill start. Even getting out of my driveway takes a bit of clutch management.

The Zetec I am fitting to my Plus2 will have a Fidanza flywheel, and is some 200 lbs heavier than the Sabra. But, it will also have an additional 200cc to help it along. Have not checked the diff ratio in the Plus 2 yet, but I expect it to have a 3.77 ratio to go along with the 165/80-13 rear tires.

Over the years, I have found the cheapest way to reduce the combined driver/vehicle weight, is to shut ones mouth and push yourself away from the table.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: